Man-up
Man-up...sound like something Helen of Troy would say. 

In olden times a gentleman would be obliged to be armed just so they wouldn't have to man-up in the twisted sense of the phrase, (a Eastcoast twist on cowboy-up surely). 

Vikings brawl in the street not gentlemen. 

Gentlemen win great battles against insurmountable odds not by might but by miracle. 

But of course if you mean man-up as not disparing that would be acceptable but hardly adequate.

Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
Your last sentence confused me a bit.

I always figured "man up" meant to reach down, grab your pee-pee, take charge of your station in life from a Catholic perspective, live a strong moral life, do the right thing, and try to be prepared for whatever the world sends your way.  Sumpin' like that.

Carry and sharpen a pocket knife (although I prefer smaller fixed blades; less maintenance lol Big Grin ), know how to fix some basic things around the house, change a tire, cook for yourself, stick up for the little guy, love and respect God, treat others the way you'd wish to be treated without letting others dump on you, carry and know uses for a handkerchief, have an idea of what to do in an emergency...

...the list could go on for a while.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • MaryTN
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
Tough times come to everyone.  Don't walk away from your problems,  deal with them.  The term "man-up" never meant 'get into fights at the bar'.  Yes, there are people who twist things, don't be that guy.
Gandalf telling Pippin to 'Man-up'?

Sara Palin tellin' 'em to 'mensch-up'.

Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!