followed potential bad advice?
My manager at Michaels resigned...

A lady at church said to me, "oh, you should go for that position!" I feel like this is bad advice. I do not know if I can do what he did. I'll need to extend my availability which isn't problematic. Might need to work a couple of Sundays as well here and there. Again, not problematic to miss church for an honorable cause. So I went ahead and applied for the now open position via the store's website.

It came as a surprise to all of us that he made Monday his last day. He had told me personally he had 12 days left on Saturday. That certainly is not 12 days though. He must have had his resignation expedited. He sent us all a text later on Monday that we'd all come in at 4am the next day, there's been a change of plans. I don't know what happened.

The assistant store manager did the replenishment that day. He sorted the repack horribly IMO. He followed a method more similar to the previous replenishment manager's prior to the last one. The one before the last one was horribly disorganised. The last one had a very organised method and kept the merchandise sorted into boxes via aisles that could be tossed into the aisle and then stocked right there.

The assistant store manager decided he'd throw the merchandise into carts via the "area". Big quadrants of the store is meant by "area" here. The problem is that the merchandise gets all jumbled up in the carts when it's thrown in there. So you have to go from one part to the next part to the third part. Up and back through the given aisles. I couldn't take that method very long. So I decided to follow the bad advice from the lady and applied. My manager's system must be maintained! Chao ad ordo!
It sounds like you think you have better qualifications than the next guy, so I'd say give it a shot. On the other hand I've been disappointed in my own pride in the past, when I thought I would be an improvement on someone else.
You haven't explained why you think it's a bad idea. If you think it's a bad idea, why did you apply?
(07-10-2019, 03:14 AM)ThatGladTrad Wrote: It sounds like you think you have better qualifications than the next guy, so I'd say give it a shot. On the other hand I've been disappointed in my own pride in the past, when I thought I would be an improvement on someone else.
You haven't explained why you think it's a bad idea. If you think it's a bad idea, why did you apply?

Sometimes it's better to be the "fool" in charge than to work for fools.

I'm not saying newenglandsun is a fool, just using the word loosely from the cultural saying.
Brick 
(07-10-2019, 03:14 AM)ThatGladTrad Wrote: It sounds like you think you have better qualifications than the next guy, so I'd say give it a shot. On the other hand I've been disappointed in my own pride in the past, when I thought I would be an improvement on someone else.

IDK. If another person who does have better qualifications happens to come along, I'm very happy to submit to him/her. I just don't like shuffling repack off a shopping cart that's a jumbled mess of items from aisle to aisle.

What I'm really trying to say is that the replenishment manager who just resigned was virtually like a second store manager who knew the store well. There were some details that I knew better than he did, this is true, occasionally would even "read his mind", but indisputably, he was highly qualified and well-prepped for the job. I'm not certain too many could even think to compare.

Just today, our assistant store manager was working with bracket fixtures in a framing aisle. Obviously, the planogram is not mathematically to scale. For some reason, he tried to put all of the brackets in before putting the frames in any way. I don't know if that was simply bad advice from the store manager he received or if it was miscommunication between him and the store manager. But the last replenishment manager had me taught very well with how to place the bracket fixtures up.