Can only God know with certainty whether a marriage is valid?
This is something I’ve heard His Eminence Cardinal Burke state in a presentation.
If this is the case, is there any sin in the parties that believe themselves to be married?
Let’s just say they’ve been granted a dispensation for some impediment, and the Church has blessed the marriage, and has told the married couple that they’re in a sacramental union.
Should the couple simply accept the Church’s decision?
Or should the individual couples seek second opinions, etc.
As some of you may know, my wife and I married with a dispensation from canonical form.
Please, for any of you that are going to marry: don’t ever go that route. Observe the canonical form.
You’ll drive yourself nuts.
Quote:This is something I've heard His Eminence Cardinal Burke state in a presentation.

Do you recall what presentation this was or do you have a link for it?  I'd be interested in listening to what he says.

Quote:If this is the case, is there any sin in the parties that believe themselves to be married?

No.  They genuinely believe themselves to be in a sacramental marriage and have obeyed the marriage laws of the Church.

Quote:Let’s just say they’ve been granted a dispensation for some impediment, and the Church has blessed the marriage, and has told the married couple that they’re in a sacramental union.

Yes, they should accept that their marriage is a valid sacramental union.  Why would they do otherwise?

Quote:Or should the individual couples seek second opinions, etc.

Who would they seek this second opinion from?  No one else has divine authority to judge the Church's decisions.  I doubt that Cardinal Burke meant for you to doubt the sacramental validity of your marriage.  In addition, even if some impediment has prevented a valid sacramental marriage, this doesn't mean the couple is living in sin.  They contracted a legal marriage that, unbeknownst to them, had some impediment that prevented it from being sacramental.

Quote:As some of you may know, my wife and I married with a dispensation from canonical form.

If the bishop gave a dispensation, you can safely assume that he did so in accordance with canon law.  If for some bizarre reason a mistake was made, that is not on you or wife.  Also, you have no need or obligation to worry yourself with "what if's" like this.  Trust in God, not an endless string of doubts.
[-] The following 4 users Like SeekerofChrist's post:
  • Alphonse il Segundo, jovan66102, Melkite, St.Eliza
(07-11-2019, 01:40 PM)FultonFan Wrote: This is something I’ve heard His Eminence Cardinal Burke state in a presentation.
If this is the case, is there any sin in the parties that believe themselves to be married?
Let’s just say they’ve been granted a dispensation for some impediment, and the Church has blessed the marriage, and has told the married couple that they’re in a sacramental union.
Or should the individual couples seek second opinions, etc.
As some of you may know, my wife and I married with a dispensation from canonical form.
Please, for any of you that are going to marry: don’t ever go that route. Observe the canonical form.
You’ll drive yourself nuts.

You seem to have answered your own question here. You got a dispensation. 

Relax and have a beer. Maybe give your wife a kiss.
Lol, thank you both. Perhaps I’ll have a beer.

As for the presentation, it’s somewhere in here I think:

FF, you are in my daily prayers that you may overcome your scrupulosity. 
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Alphonse il Segundo, MiserereMeiDeus
Thank you.
Feel free to pray even more for me Wink
Joking of course.
God bless you, and thank you.
Also, for all newcomers to this site: please don’t think that most trads are like me.
I’m obsessive over things, sometimes to the extreme.
(07-11-2019, 04:32 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Thank you.
Joking of course.

Oh, I do! You're also remembered in my Rosaries and at every Holy Mass I hear,
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(07-11-2019, 04:40 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 04:32 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Thank you.
Joking of course.

Oh, I do! You're also remembered in my Rosaries and at every Holy Mass I hear,

God love you, friend.
Actually I think it’s this link: