Geman Catholic Bibles
Does anyone know of a good Catholic translation of the Bible in German? I already own the Einheitsübersetzung, which is the translation currently in use for German-language liturgy. My edition is the 1980 edition, and it is very bad - for example, the famous "Nigra sum, sed formosa" is rendered, "Braun bin ich, doch schön" (although obviously the Einheitsübersetzung was translated from the Hebrew and not from the Vulgate). I think the translator justified this choice because of the sentence in the following verse, "Schaut mich nicht so an, weil ich gebräunt bin. Die Sonne hat mich verbrannt", but this itself is also a bad translation. This choice must have been motivated by political correctness.

Anyway, the more current editions of the Einheitsübersetzung are better, and do translate the verse in question correctly: "Schwarz bin ich, doch schön... schaut mich nicht so an, weil ich so schwarz bin! Die Sonne hat mich verbrannt", and I know that the 2016 edition was an attempt to correct the metaphors and bad ideological choices of the original. However, I have been unable to find any other Catholic editions of the German Bible, perhaps one whose translation was undertaken... independently of the German Bishops Conference.

Any ideas?
Filioli mei, non diligamus verbo neque lingua, sed opere et veritate.

Vos omnes amatores pulcherrimae linguae ecclesiae nostrae, videte filum quo de rebus sanctis profanisque colloqui possumus.
The German Douay-Rheims, insomuch as there is such a thing, is the version by Joseph Franz von Allioli from 1830. My German's not very good at all, but it looks like there are some editions available on German Amazon.

There's also this: https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/archiv...55007.html

Gen. 3, 15: Ich will Feindschaft setzen zwischen dir und dem Weibe, und zwischen deiner Nachkommenschaft und ihrer Nachkommenschaft: sie wird dir den Kopf zertreten, und du wirst ihrer Ferse nachstellen.

Cant. 1, 4: Schwarz bin ich, doch schön, ihr Töchter Jerusalems! wie die Gezelte Kedars, wie die Decken Salomons.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • Filiolus
Vielen Dank!

Vos omnes amatores pulcherrimae linguae ecclesiae nostrae, videte filum quo de rebus sanctis profanisque colloqui possumus.
I agree that the Allioli version is the go-to version for German Trads.
If you want something really good and have a lot of money to spend, the Sarto-Verlag (German publishing house of the SSPX) is currently offering a reprint of the Latin-German parallel version of the Allioli Bible with extensive commentary.
https://www.sarto.de/product_info.php?in...enden.html
"What you make with our Lord?" -Bishop Athanasius Schneider
[-] The following 1 user Likes Freudentaumel's post:
  • Filiolus
(07-28-2019, 01:51 PM)Freudentaumel Wrote: I agree that the Allioli version is the go-to version for German Trads.
If you want something really good and have a lot of money to spend, the Sarto-Verlag (German publishing house of the SSPX) is currently offering a reprint of the Latin-German parallel version of the Allioli Bible with extensive commentary.
https://www.sarto.de/product_info.php?in...enden.html

Thanks! That edition does look very nice. Unfortunately I don't have the extra money to spend on that. The Latin-German columns are a nice benefit, but especially since I already own the Vulgate I don't particularly need to spend extra money for that perk.

Additionally, I'd really like it in a single volume. I'm having a really hard time finding any recent printings, however - it seems the Bishops Conference pushes the horrible EU pretty hard. Does anyone print it anymore? Do you know of anywhere I could find a single-volume copy of the Allioli? Used is fine, as long as it's in good condition.