Job Offers
For the past couple of months I've been interviewing for jobs in my field where the core responsibilities are all the same for each. I was offered two job offers (Position A & B) out of three (Position C). Here's the story below:

Position A & B -
  • Much smaller agencies. 
  • Arguably demand more responsibility, more interactions and collaboration with immediate superiors, and more community engagement. Position A & B only had one vacancy each.
  • Interviews for each agency were relatively personable and seemed more like a conversation than an "interview."

Position C -
  • Biggest agency in the state where I was an intern*.
  • They have not responded back to me post-interview and I will put it down as a rejection since it's been about five weeks since my follow-up.
  • Has hundreds of vacancies where it was advertised, both internally and locally to the community, that the need for Position C is great and that there would be a push to fill these spots in the upcoming years. 
  • They also verbally admitted that they favor those who have interned with them, though an offer in not guaranteed.
  • Interview for agency was largely being asked a list of questions, rather uninteresting, with a short writing assignment.
  • Was actually asked to apply and come in for an interview.

How does one get passed over for Position C when they, more or less, had things in their favor? One can make the argument that Position A & B were more competitive given there was one vacancy compared to a hundred. It sort of doesn't make sense to me. Culture fit? I was an intern. My past experience would say I would be a good fit. Competency? I believe I did alright on the written portion though "meh" on the verbal responses - okay, fine. Each of my references gave me glowing reviews of me as mentionioned by the HR managers for Position A & B; my interviews for said positions were quite good.

[Image: tenor.gif]

TL;DR: Offered by agencies where I had no past affiliation with, which were arguably more competitive. Passed over by agency with hundred of vacancies where I had an affiliation with.

*Near the end of internship I acted as some sort of whistleblower, reporting a bad supervisor and site. Met with internship coordinator who then brought the complaints to the attention of my supervisor's manager. In the end I helped give another supervisor more interns for the future alongside a new site for the internship program based on my recommendation. I arguably strengthened the internship program.
Unfortunately I don't have any "fun facts" about me unless being a practicing Catholic counts.

Trying to get better every day week.
Last paragraph is your answer.  Take A or B and move on.  Life is not always easy.  Sometimes it feels as tho the humans get in the way.  Move on.  Think of it as a blessing.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaryTN's post:
  • Ambrosiano, SeeTheLight
(07-27-2019, 03:45 PM)MaryTN Wrote: Last paragraph is your answer.  Take A or B and move on.  Life is not always easy.  Sometimes it feels as tho the humans get in the way.  Move on.  Think of it as a blessing.

Maybe keeping my mouth shut would've been better, though I'm still not entirely sure why that would exclude for hire.
Unfortunately I don't have any "fun facts" about me unless being a practicing Catholic counts.

UPDATE:

I recently accepted one of my job offers at one of the smaller agencies. But there have been early red flags in communication between my department director and me. Director basically gives a non-answer and absolutely fails to answer my concerns. It goes as follows all via email:

Email#1 -

Notify director of not receiving any email or letter concerning new hire orientation. I noted I was aware of the mandatory event but had not received any official word on it. It was mentioned briefly during my second "interview" by her but nothing in great detail. I ask if there is anyone I can direct my question to about the event.

Director replies that I am expected to attend but does not direct me to a personnel who is in charge of new hire communication. She says, "I'll see you next week!" She gives no schedule of the event. 

I decide to wait for the email and/or letter.

Email #2 -

One day before orientation begins. I was lucky enough to meet other new hires at a regional conference. This conference was not mandatory to attend. Though the fellow new hires were not in my specific department I ask if they knew anything about the orientation. One fortunately took out a mailed letter concerning the event with the day's schedule. I took a picture of it on my mobile for my reference.

At around noon I email again the director. I ask the director if there was a letter or email sent out to my specific department. She again replies "as stated before you are expected to attend." Well of course I am - I am fully aware of that. I tell her about meeting other new hires at the conference and what had happened. She tells me she doesn't know why I'm not receiving any notifications about it and finally (indirectly) tells me that another personnel is in charge of communication for the orientation. 

Director gives me zero information besides what was said during the second "interview." 

I email the person she mentions a couple of hours later. No reply so far.

TL;DR - Out of the loop on exact details of orientation. Director first gave a non-answer then gave a "not my prob" answer second time around. Was lucky enough to meet other new hires at a conference who had the orientation letter on hand. Took a picture of it. If I had not attended the conference I would've been completely in the dark. Still not completely sure if I need to bring anything specific to orientation.