How much should one give weekly at Mass?
(08-01-2019, 02:28 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 12:38 AM)yablabo Wrote: There's only one priest that I have ever heard give a homily on tithing: Fr. Keith Weber from St. Isidore's Catholic Student Center in Manhattan, KS.  He related tithing to the etymology meaning "tenth part", and reminded everyone that it is bound on us by scripture and tradition to tithe.  He also stated that the bishop typically suggests on how to divide it up.  The bishops in this region give a guide thus: 1% for the Holy Father (Peter's Pence), 1% for the Bishop, 3% for the parish, and then 5% for alms, to make up 10% of one's gross income. 

If you look at what you make yearly when you do your taxes, you get an idea of what 10% of your gross income is, then divide it up by 52 weeks.  If you make more that year, then divide up the 10% of the excess as your bishop suggests.

I would not follow those guidelines.  For one thing, I absolutely will not give one percent- or even one cent- to Peter's Pence for Francis to throw at some futile, globalist cause.  I also will not give to my parish, which continually hemorrhages money into the severed artery known as a parochial school.

I agree about Peter's Pence. I seriously disagree about your Parish. I think it's a matter of justice to donate to the place where you receive your sacraments, even if you have problems with the way they use/waste their money.
Filioli mei, non diligamus verbo neque lingua, sed opere et veritate.

Vos omnes amatores pulcherrimae linguae ecclesiae nostrae, videte filum quo de rebus sanctis profanisque colloqui possumus.
(08-01-2019, 06:01 PM)Filiolus Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 12:38 AM)yablabo Wrote: There's only one priest that I have ever heard give a homily on tithing: Fr. Keith Weber from St. Isidore's Catholic Student Center in Manhattan, KS.  He related tithing to the etymology meaning "tenth part", and reminded everyone that it is bound on us by scripture and tradition to tithe.  He also stated that the bishop typically suggests on how to divide it up.  The bishops in this region give a guide thus: 1% for the Holy Father (Peter's Pence), 1% for the Bishop, 3% for the parish, and then 5% for alms, to make up 10% of one's gross income. 

If you look at what you make yearly when you do your taxes, you get an idea of what 10% of your gross income is, then divide it up by 52 weeks.  If you make more that year, then divide up the 10% of the excess as your bishop suggests.

I would not follow those guidelines.  For one thing, I absolutely will not give one percent- or even one cent- to Peter's Pence for Francis to throw at some futile, globalist cause.  I also will not give to my parish, which continually hemorrhages money into the severed artery known as a parochial school.

I agree about Peter's Pence. I seriously disagree about your Parish. I think it's a matter of justice to donate to the place where you receive your sacraments, even if you have problems with the way they use/waste their money.

I should have been more specific.  I will give to my parish, but I will earmark donations for specific purposes.  For example, if there is a collection for utilities, or some other non-school-related purpose, I will donate to the parish.  I will also donate to parish organizations I am in, which do not have anything to do with the school.  Basically, I'll help the parish as long as I can do it in ways that do not directly go to the school.  My parish's school is not a good school, and they don't seem too interested in improving it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • Filiolus
(08-01-2019, 07:09 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 06:01 PM)Filiolus Wrote:

I should have been more specific.  I will give to my parish, but I will earmark donations for specific purposes.  For example, if there is a collection for utilities, or some other non-school-related purpose, I will donate to the parish.  I will also donate to parish organizations I am in, which do not have anything to do with the school.  Basically, I'll help the parish as long as I can do it in ways that do not directly go to the school.  My parish's school is not a good school, and they don't seem too interested in improving it.

If we're required by precept to provide for the material needs of the Church, I don't know how you could morally fail to remit some amount to your bishop or the Holy Father.