@Zedta: Jason Fung
Have you heard of this guy? I stumbled upon him while watching Dr. Berg on YouTube....He is the man! he reminds me of the boy who pointed out that the emperor has no clothes,  because of the way he states what should've been obvious but because there's no money in it (fasting), it's been overlooked. I'm onto this. 

[color=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color, var(--yt-spec-text-primary))]Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Jason Fung (Full Interview)[/color]
[color=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color, var(--yt-spec-text-primary))]

[/color]
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[-] The following 2 users Like JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • St.Eliza, Zedta
Very interesting!

This guy has come up with a plan that I stumbled upon a few years ago.

I once weighed 275#. I was on Insulin, Statins, BP meds with a diuretic and Neurotin (for the neurogenic pain I had) and felt awful. Working 12 hour night shifts didn't help either. Soon afterwards, I had cardiac stents put in my heart and it kept me from having an MI.

I was a wreck and the altitude where I was at in NW New Mexico, around the Navajo Res wasn't much help.

After my Dear Wife passed away in 2011, I had to eat my own cooking and my diet changed radically. My dear wife was a great cook, but she learned her skills from her mother and they were both Southern Cooks, so lots of carbs and fats were involved.

I went on a modified Adkins diet and within a year or so, had dropped 80#, but couldn't get my weight down any farther. I switched to a sort of 'fasting' diet: I eat two slices of Ezekiel Bread, with butter and organic jelly (Polinar) every morning and wash it down with about a half carafe of coffee mixed with Truvia and half and half. I don't eat again until supper and that is usually after 5PM. Supper is usually a protein, some veggies and unsweetened iced tea , which I drink most of the day. Its a kind of fast as I noted in the video. I do a regular fast every Friday and eat baked fish for supper on most Fridays, or go completely meatless or fish-less some Fridays.

The weight came off and one day (recently) I got strangely ill; diarrhea, no nausea, and no loss of appetite, loss even of any sense of smell or taste, even the salt and sour were gone. I essentially went on a week's long fast. I noticed, after all that ended, that my body sorta made a big reset. My weight went down to 156# (this AM) and it stays there. I can eat about anything, ice cream, cake, cookies, whatever (no I don't do this regularly, just on occasion to see if it still works) and my weight remains the same. My doctor is quite pleased but is befuddled by it, but I suppose because he knows my background, he has mearly monitored my progress.

My fasting blood glucose is down from 170s to 110s and my A1C is down from 8.6 to 6.8...almost there to my goal.

Interesting video, BTW. Mercola is someone I've been reading for a while now and he has some good ideas, but Dr. Fung is quite fascinating. Seems we both came to the same deductions, in many ways.

I don't recommend anyone do as I do. It may not be benificial for them. But if you choose to, be sure you are monitored by your doctor. In the end, I am a firm beleiver in the fasting angle. After all, its something that could be good for both body AND soul!
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain
[-] The following 2 users Like Zedta's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux, St.Eliza
Oh that's excellent, Zedta! Congratulations. Maintaining a major weight loss isn't an easy thing to do. Dr Fung says there's a 99% failure rate at weight loss maintenance, and I'm a prime example of that. I lost 30 lbs a few years back, then gained it all back plus a little more. It's a hormonal thing, insulin resistance. Intermittent fasting (say 1 or 2 meals per day) appears to be the fastest way to reset a broken metabolism. I'm not on any medications, so it should be fine. Wish me luck! I just ordered his book, "The Complete Guide to Fasting".

When you say it's not for everyone, that's true. Pregnant and nursing moms and children shouldn't be fasting. Diabetics who are on insulin should definitely be monitored as their insulin levels could dip waaay too low. But that's actually good because the doctor should be able to take them off the meds. 

But even just keeping to 3 meals a day without snacking can make a big difference for some people, especially younger people with better metabolisms.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • St.Eliza