poverty of spirit when not actually poor
How have you achieved poverty of spirit while having possessions? I know that this is possible, because religious books mention it, and specifically mention not having to be actually poor in order to practice it. But I'm at a loss as to how to actually do it. Does it mean we don't get upset when we are deprived of certain possessions? Does it mean that we give our favorite possessions away? Does it mean just making do with fewer possessions? I'm concerned that having fewer possessions would just make me more attached to them. 

So how is this possible? Thanks for your suggestions.
“I will never abandon you, my child. My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way that will lead you to God.”
-Our Lady of Fatima to Lucia

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God."
- St. Jean-Baptiste Marie Vianney
Carlo Acutis born of a wealthy family, (as are many saints), studied the spirit of proverty along with computers. 

Once he came home barefoot because he gave his shoes away, he saved his money to buy sleeping bags, food, and coffee for people. He would help migrants from Asia, India and Africa Carlo befriended them all whether they be Christian or Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist.

"To be close to Carlo was to be close to a fountain of fresh water,” his mother said.

It seems harder for adults to embrass the poor and needy, after all it can be a bit scary, but that's the point, sacrifice. If it makes you a little uncomfortable you're experiencing the poverty of spirit. But you must try to take that first step. 

There is so much want in the world today it boggles the mind and that may be why a young man like Carlo admonished his mom for buying him a second pair of shoes.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
(08-03-2019, 10:24 AM)Deidre Wrote: How have you achieved poverty of spirit while having possessions? I know that this is possible, because religious books mention it, and specifically mention not having to be actually poor in order to practice it. But I'm at a loss as to how to actually do it. Does it mean we don't get upset when we are deprived of certain possessions? Does it mean that we give our favorite possessions away? Does it mean just making do with fewer possessions? I'm concerned that having fewer possessions would just make me more attached to them. 

Great question, Deidre. Are you only looking for responses from people who believe they have achieved poverty of spirit?
Probably should include this video: The Real Presence and Eucharistic Miracles by Carlo Acutis

Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
I'm pretty new to Catholicism, so my personal experience and understanding is lacking on how to engender a spirit of poverty, but perhaps what St. Francis de Sales says on the matter could be illuminating:

https://www.catholicity.com/devoutlife/3-14.html
https://www.catholicity.com/devoutlife/3-15.html
Detachment is the key. Obviously God gives gifts to people, but we cannot become so attached to these things that we forget about God. The book of Job is a good lesson in this sort of poverty.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Therefore do I weep, and my eyes run down with water: because the comforter, the relief of my soul, is far from me: my children are desolate because the enemy hath prevailed.' - Lamentations 1:16

[Image: LaSaletteTears.jpg]
(08-10-2019, 09:48 AM)Acolyte Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 10:24 AM)Deidre Wrote: How have you achieved poverty of spirit while having possessions? I know that this is possible, because religious books mention it, and specifically mention not having to be actually poor in order to practice it. But I'm at a loss as to how to actually do it. Does it mean we don't get upset when we are deprived of certain possessions? Does it mean that we give our favorite possessions away? Does it mean just making do with fewer possessions? I'm concerned that having fewer possessions would just make me more attached to them. 

Great question, Deidre. Are you only looking for responses from people who believe they have achieved poverty of spirit?

No, not at all. I'm just looking for tips on how other people are trying to achieve this.
“I will never abandon you, my child. My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way that will lead you to God.”
-Our Lady of Fatima to Lucia

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God."
- St. Jean-Baptiste Marie Vianney