A desperate plea to Catholic Men from a convert to the Faith
I basically chewed out our priest for giving a social justice boarder wall message when the reading were clearly pro-life. I had to do it to clear my own conscience, as I just couldn't let it go. It was charitable and stuck to the facts, but made the clear point we need to preach and teach on the real issues.

I did this in confession, as I was confessing to him how upset I was with him. I got no real resolve, but I think the boarder wall homilies tapered off after that, and it was back to our normal mush.

Our new priest is much improved - praise God!
[-] The following 2 users Like Markie Boy's post:
  • Giovanni Petro, josh987654321
(08-03-2019, 02:12 PM)Giovanni Petro Wrote: .

Mind if I ask what caused you to convert from nihilism to Catholicism? "Mind if I ask" arghh, what am I doing "Tell me!" lol

God Bless
(08-04-2019, 10:34 PM)Giovanni Petro Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 03:31 PM)LionHippo Wrote: There are some good Traditionalist members on CAF.  Many of the other members are just sadly misguided.  If one has been searching for what exactly is meant by "the spirit of Vatican II," all they need to do is read that forum for a couple days and they'll have a good understanding of it.

I just visited their front page and read some threads out of curiosity. I am actually surprised by the number of orthodox answers I've read. This thread ( https://forums.catholic.com/t/young-peop...s-2/560219 ) where a young girl suggests a return to TLM as a way to attract young people, illustrates the rift between those who recognize the importance and the appeal of Tradition and those who understand liturgy as mostly a superficial matter. I'm not into bashing boomers but it seems the people defending the OF are mostly older people, while the young are the ones saying they want a return to EF. Some are quite adamant (even angry) about it, perhaps realizing what has been stolen from them / us.

What's interesting about the thread is that in the 103 posts, not one mentioned lex orandi, lex credendi.
deleted
(08-05-2019, 05:33 PM)Giovanni Petro Wrote: Not to mention that Evangelicals have a much easier time attracting Latinos.
No, let's mention this because it's one of the elephants in the room. American protestantism has always been about selling an American Christ to the third world, particularly by the Evangelicals. Like the hierarchy the evangelicals will deny that the results of their efforts were intended but that's a very hard sell. I grew up in Evangelical communities and the focus on missions was laser sharp. Constant streams of visiting missionaries, mission societies, mission Sundays with slide shows and films gave ample evidence that what was being sold was American culture. Okay, in charity maybe that wasn't what was being sold, but that's what the people in the Southern Hemisphere were buying.
The hierarchy as usual is confused and has no real idea how to deal with this nightmare, they think inculturation is a solution. They're nuts. The millions turning to evangelicalism want white shirts and ties with pockets for their cell phones that they can charge in their cars while they listen to "music" heavily influenced by American culture. It has a heavy veneer of "Christianity" but peel it away and it's consumerism on a health and wealth foundation. 
Nobody will admit to this, but in the late 70s and early 80s when this was a massive effort whole towns and villages converted (apostatized) right down to their highly polished brand new shoes. It was very weird seeing all those Africans and South Americans almost overnight dressing like Americans on the way to church, that flipped one of the switches in my mind that something was fishy with the whole thing... eventually it led me to the faith those people were abandoning en masse.
[-] The following 2 users Like boredoftheworld's post:
  • antiquarian, Giovanni Petro
You can shame white Americans with accusations of racism and they flee with their tails between their legs. Latinos, on the other hand, couldn't care less about accusations of putting La Raza first. They're unashamedly proud of who they are and they will protect the rights of their grandchildren to the bitter end. As to the future of Black Americans, it doesn't take a genius to predict their demise. Without whites around, they will be persecuted from all sides: Asians hate them, Latinos hate them, Arabs hate them. I hope they manage to flee before the pogroms start.

--------------

Oh my word what a load of Gene Joney bull crap !
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
deleted
[-] The following 1 user Likes Giovanni Petro's post:
  • josh987654321
deleted
(08-05-2019, 08:20 PM)Giovanni Petro Wrote: I am not familiarized with the term "Gene Joney". What does it mean?

Probably best not to even ask.
(08-05-2019, 07:13 PM)Giovanni Petro Wrote: When I was 20 or so I went to a Conference about the miracles of Fatima and when the questions time came I took the speaker to task and his answers confirmed my skepticism.

Do you still hold Fatima with disbelief? because I believe in Fatima and would be interested to have a chat with you about it on another thread.

(08-05-2019, 07:13 PM)Giovanni Petro Wrote: I watched hours and hours of "God vs Atheism" debates on YouTube and felt like the atheists always came out on top.

Many of them only pick people they can easily beat to debate.

(08-05-2019, 07:13 PM)Giovanni Petro Wrote: Then in college I had an unbiased marxist professor who told me to do an assignment on the relationship between religion and science and he gave me tons of documents explaining how the Catholic Church was instrumental for the development of Western science and how the Dark Ages are an Enlightenment myth.

From a Marxist? :O lol that's a surprise. I can't believe France still celebrates Bastille day..... Enlightenment, that period of mass be-headings and war throughout all of Europe... good times lol.

(08-05-2019, 07:13 PM)Giovanni Petro Wrote: I also read up on dozens of medieval Islamic scholars and scientists and was (still am) fascinated by them. Then God, as in "an eternal omnipotent self-conscious entity responsible for the creation of the universe and all life and laws therein" started to appeal to me. For a while I was attracted to the absolute (unitarian) monotheism of Islam. Christians had the whole "Jesus is God" thing but Muhammad was just a human prophet. It was easier to digest: an unapproachable God that rewards total and unwavering submission. But reading the Quran was frankly disappointing. It clearly is not an inspired book. 

That's a surprise for me, did you also believe in some of the stuff in Sharia such as the death penalty for apostasy? what did you think of Muhammad's marriage at age 6 and consummation at age 9 of his favorite wife Aisha? And one thing I'll never understand is the deity complex toward and around the kaaba stone.

(08-05-2019, 07:13 PM)Giovanni Petro Wrote: It was Evangelicals like William Lane Craig and Ravi Zacharias that presented the best arguments for God's existence and for the divinity of Christ:

I too came across them, as well as John Lennox and they had some good stuff when dealing with atheism IMO. The greatest proofs IMO are that of design and intelligibility, or the 'fine tune' argument, as no matter how much they talk of probabilities there is absolutely no way, it's like blowing up ink and paper and getting a dictionary out of 1 of them, there are things gone wrong with this creation due to the fall, but it still unmistakably has the marks of intelligibility and design left on it. The other one is that of subjectivism which i think C.S. Lewis really hits the nail on the head with.

C.S. Lewis Wrote:Supposing there was no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind. In that case, nobody designed my brain for the purpose of thinking. It is merely that when the atoms inside my skull happen, for physical or chemical reasons, to arrange themselves in a certain way, this gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call thought. But, if so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It’s like upsetting a milk jug and hoping that the way it splashes itself will give you a map of London. But if I can’t trust my own thinking, of course I can’t trust the arguments leading to Atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an Atheist, or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I cannot believe in thought: so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God.

C.S. Lewis Wrote:The theory that thought is merely a movement in the brain is, in my opinion, nonsense; for if so, that theory itself would be merely a movement, an event among atoms, which may have speed and direction but of which it would be meaningless to use the words 'true' or 'false'.

(08-05-2019, 07:13 PM)Giovanni Petro Wrote: like the Catholics did (I had a particular aversion to Bishop Barron).

Yup, there are other Catholics who are good like Dr Scott Hahn, however, the only issue with them is that the New Atheists have been so appealing because they kept it simple, if they complicate it too much, then their audience will just switch off. Scott Hahn really goes into the probabilities and fine tuning aspect of it, only problem is for the rest of us who are not experts on probabilities etc we are all just relying on appeals to authority, who's science do you trust etc.

I like John Lennox's quote "Be careful not to confuse scientific statements with statements by scientists."

(08-05-2019, 07:13 PM)Giovanni Petro Wrote: However, I couldn't get past the Evangelical's anti-evolution stance. Then one day, an audiobook version of "Orthodoxy" by GK Chesterton started playing on a YouTube playlist and that was the first time the shell started to crack. He was sagacious, he was witty, he took the atheists to task for failing to live up to their own premises and, most importantly, he appealed to intellect rather than emotion. 

I believe in adaptation within species but not evolution outside of species.

(08-05-2019, 07:13 PM)Giovanni Petro Wrote: When I read up on what Vatican II was all about I was filled with an indescribable rage.

Yea, we have been robbed, I don't know a huge amount about Vatican II but it was certainly a turning point which resulted in the mess we have today, but the gates of hell will never prevail, it must go like this, the Church must go through her passion and death if she is to be resurrected.

(08-05-2019, 07:13 PM)Giovanni Petro Wrote: I started listening to lectures by Rev. Bishop Fulton Sheen on Youtube and my world collapsed: God is real, Jesus is God, Jesus loves me, He wants me to repent and come to Him. Listening to sermons by Father Ripperger and other trad priests sealed the deal. Coming to terms that praying to the Virgin Mary is not idolatrous and tackling hundreds of other questions took a long time but I'm glad I took a skeptic's approach. Catholicism stands to scrutiny.

:)

God Bless You