Extraordinary Ministers and the Tabernacle
I went to Vigil Mass last night with my two adult sons at a Church run by Jesuits.  I was visiting and it's near my oldest son's apartment.  My youngest son just entered the Church this last Easter Vigil, and my oldest will be attending the next RCIA near his apartment. 

Anyway, one of the extraordinary ministers placed the remaining Hosts in the Tabernacle near the end of Mass.  I don't know if that's OK, but it seemed inappropriate and wrong.  I think I've only seen a deacon or priest do that, at least during Mass.  The priest was older and moved pretty slow, so maybe she was just trying to help him out. 

Oddly enough, there was another priest singing with the band (yes, guitars, drums, and a piano) who could have helped him out if that was the case. 

My son, who hasn't even been baptized, asked me about it after Mass and said it didn't seem right.

Thoughts?  Am I making too big of a deal out of this?
Speaking as an EMHC, I would never do that during Mass. But then, I've seen plenty of irregularities done by other EMHCs at other Churches than where I attend and often they make shudder with dread.

Personally, I limit as much as possible, attending Mass as an EMHC. My ministry is to the sick and homebound and I try to stay within those perimeters.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain
Well - one thought is that it's good your son is questioning things like this. He's got an eye for what's up. I don't think I have ever seen anyone but the priest place the consecrated hosts in the Tabernacle - but not sure on what's OK depending on the situation.

But the priest performing with the band while average Joe ministers hand out communion - that's the worst part of this to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Markie Boy's post:
  • josh987654321
(08-05-2019, 12:02 AM)jack89 Wrote: I went to Vigil Mass last night with my two adult sons at a Church run by Jesuits.

How far the Jesuits have fallen, today if I read 'Jesuit' I try to avoid.

(08-05-2019, 12:02 AM)jack89 Wrote: My youngest son just entered the Church this last Easter Vigil, and my oldest will be attending the next RCIA near his apartment. 

Smile

(08-05-2019, 12:02 AM)jack89 Wrote: Anyway, one of the extraordinary ministers placed the remaining Hosts in the Tabernacle near the end of Mass.  I don't know if that's OK, but it seemed inappropriate and wrong.  I think I've only seen a deacon or priest do that, at least during Mass.  The priest was older and moved pretty slow, so maybe she was just trying to help him out.

Even still, unfortunately there isn't much we can do other then pray and lead by example by receiving the Eucharist as reverently as possible, on the tongue, from the Priest and kneeling (one knee) if possible.

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

(08-05-2019, 12:02 AM)jack89 Wrote: Oddly enough, there was another priest singing with the band (yes, guitars, drums, and a piano) who could have helped him out if that was the case. 

My son, who hasn't even been baptized, asked me about it after Mass and said it didn't seem right.

Your correct it's not right, forgive them they know not what they do, the best thing we can do I believe is praying and showing as much reverence toward Christ's real presence in the Holy Eucharist as we can, by receiving from the priest on the tongue and kneeling (one knee as there are no kneeling rails anymore) if possible.

Is it any wonder they are debating female ordination (blatant heresy and essentially paganism with the introduction of 'priestesses') when female Eucharistic ministers are handing out our Lord and assisting at Mass already? They are called extraordinary ministers yet I see them even when there are only a handful of people, what started out as a rare exception has become a sacrilegious norm.

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

(08-05-2019, 12:02 AM)jack89 Wrote: Am I making too big of a deal out of this?

If you have to ask this then I believe you still have further to go down the rabbit hole before your eyes are fully open, but I suspect you already know the answer to this otherwise you wouldn't be on this forum and you wouldn't have created this thread or asked about it. Smile

God Bless You
"Behold the Heart that has so loved men that it has spared nothing, even to exhausting and consuming Itself, in order to testify Its love; in return, I receive from the greater part only ingratitude, by their irreverence and sacrilege, and by the coldness and contempt they have for Me in this Sacrament of Love. But what I feel most keenly is that it is hearts which are consecrated to Me that treat Me thus.” - St. Margaret Mary. Ignored by King of France Culminating in French Revolution.

"Charity concert at Cdl. Schonborn's Cathedral features shirtless actor dancing on Communion rail" - Dec 4, 2018

Technically, only a cleric is supposed to access the tabernacle during Mass.  The rubrics specify that the priest does so, without mentioning a provision for extraordinary ministers like it does in other places.

That being said, it's a very common practice in the average parish.  Admittedly, taking as a premise that extraordinary ministers are being used at all, it doesn't strike me as too egregious.  But only if you overlook how egregious it is to be using EMHCs in the way that most parishes do.

Also, that being said, I personally do this at my own parish, as an instituted acolyte, because my priest has difficulty with balance on the steps.  So there are some situations where its implementation may be warranted for the better good, but in most it's not supposed to be done.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.