New member: Reverting to Catholicism from EO/Coptic Orthodoxy
Hello,

My name is Nick, i am from Australia, i was born and raised nominally Catholic and the familiar story of leaving the Church probably before i even got to high school. After a decade of seeking and searching i eventually found and converted to the Eastern Orthodox Church in it's Greek variety (albeit i was always a Russophile). Up to the point of my conversion i was always sympathetic to Traditional Catholicism but just felt that Orthodoxy was closer to the Faith of the early Church.

I quickly ran in to a lot of problems with ethnicity/language/culture in the Greek Orthodox church and was saddened by the harsh attitudes toward non-Orthodox, especially Catholics. My trust in this church was eroded by ethno-nationalism, the Ukraine crisis, bad experiences with Greek clergy, and their general disdain for anything Western. I was at this point re-considering my decision to become Orthodox, and was considering returning to Roman Catholicism when i met a young Coptic Orthodox Christian who visited one of our Greek Orthodox Bible studies. It turned out their Coptic Church was just around the corner from my house, and i was introduced to them and felt "home". I was able to be Orthodox, in a community that was warm and welcoming, with active and committed youth, clergy that were open to outsiders and excellent pastors, etc.

I have been with the Copts now for 18 months and have loved every minute of it, but i still have not been able to shake this feeling of returning to Catholicism. It has been a persistent niggle now since my original conversion in to the Orthodox Church, and no matter how much Orthodox apologetics i read, and no matter how much i love the Coptic community and their closeness to Christ, i still feel like i am not where i am meant to be.

It is beginning to become apparent that my life seems to be a case of running from Rome as far as i could, and now a process of my slowly returning to Rome is underway. Just this last Sunday i went to the sung Latin High Mass with Gregorian chant (with a trained Latin choir) and the only seat i could find (standing room only) was a spot in the front row. It was fortuitous. I have been to Latin Masses before but none have affected me like this one, it was truly beautiful. I remembered thinking how similar the spirit of this Mass felt to the Orthodox Divine Liturgy!

I have read so many books, especially on Catholicism, but none have influenced me as much as Vladimir Soloviev's Russia and the Papacy and 2 of Fr Aidan Nicholl's books, Rome and the Eastern Churches and also The Early Papacy.

I am here to learn more about traditional Catholicism.

Thanks and God bless you all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes NJC89's post:
  • Lonion
Welcome home, Nick.
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dahveed's post:
  • SeeTheLight
Welcome Nick, I'm also an Aussie, I'm Roman Catholic, who would be at the Traditional Mass in a heartbeat if there was one nearby where I live. I'm also against the corruption currently assailing the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church which IMO leads to the very top through a rigged election, I believe she is currently undergoing her passion and death allowed by our Lord for the sifting of the wheat and chaff within her, after which will come her resurrection.

I would be very interested to read your take on the Ukrainian and Russian Orthodox crisis taking place. As for Russia, I am 100% against communism and would never have thought I would have the attitude towards them I do today, since the collapse of the Soviet Union and the institution of the Russian Federation with emphasis on their Orthodox history, I have been very impressed, especially with President Putin and Patriarch Kirill and others, I don't want to cheer too much because there is still much I don't know, but I continue to pray for Russia which Our Lady of Fatima promised would be converted (regrettably late, hence the spread of communism and resulting persecution). Their relationship with Communist China for example gives me pause sometimes, but overall they are on a good direction IMO but I don't know how strong of a foundation that is on so I continue to pray, for them and the west which is currently undergoing revolution as many seek to do away with their Christian foundations and seek after already failed pagan and atheist communist errors and evils.

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

God Bless
Jesus to St Faustina:

"For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

"Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds." (Diary, 379)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)
(08-07-2019, 05:40 AM)dahveed Wrote: Welcome home, Nick.

Ditto.
(08-10-2019, 10:05 AM)josh987654321 Wrote: Welcome Nick, I'm also an Aussie, I'm Roman Catholic, who would be at the Traditional Mass in a heartbeat if there was one nearby where I live. I'm also against the corruption currently assailing the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church which IMO leads to the very top through a rigged election, I believe she is currently undergoing her passion and death allowed by our Lord for the sifting of the wheat and chaff within her, after which will come her resurrection.

I would be very interested to read your take on the Ukrainian and Russian Orthodox crisis taking place. As for Russia, I am 100% against communism and would never have thought I would have the attitude towards them I do today, since the collapse of the Soviet Union and the institution of the Russian Federation with emphasis on their Orthodox history, I have been very impressed, especially with President Putin and Patriarch Kirill and others, I don't want to cheer too much because there is still much I don't know, but I continue to pray for Russia which Our Lady of Fatima promised would be converted (regrettably late, hence the spread of communism and resulting persecution). Their relationship with Communist China for example gives me pause sometimes, but overall they are on a good direction IMO but I don't know how strong of a foundation that is on so I continue to pray, for them and the west which is currently undergoing revolution as many seek to do away with their Christian foundations and seek after already failed pagan and atheist communist errors and evils.

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

God Bless

Hi Josh, i am definitely very blessed to live so near a wonderful and thriving TLM Parish! I would have really struggled to return to Roman Catholicism (despite the truth claims) had my only choice been the NO nearby. In fact, my nephew was Baptised only a few months ago by what i could only describe as a flamboyantly gay Priest who couldn't remember anything about the "St Leo" of Catholic Church my nephew Leo shared the name of. I was like, "do you mean St Leo THE GREAT"?! How can one go through 7 years of Catholic seminary and not know this?

Anyway, i am very blessed, and am thankful to God for that.

As for Ukraine/Russia - i am and always have been a Russophile. I am very sympathetic to Russian Orthodoxy. Of course they have their issues as all do but i do agree with them that this mess in Ukraine, started by Constantinople, is essentially another front in the U.S struggle to contain and weaken Russia (and pay them back for saving Syria). There are allegations the Phanar has accepted money from the CIA to recognise the Ukrainian schism, etc. Anyway, what it has done to me, is ended the fascade of these churches being "One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic". It is clear they have two of those marks, but not all 4.

I would suggest for any Latin Rite Catholic who wants to truly understand Orthodoxy and Russia to read "Russia and the Papacy" by Vladimir Soloviev. There is no single greatest critique of Orthodoxy in existence. It is mind blowing. I cannot recommend it highly enough!

God bless
Nick
[-] The following 1 user Likes NJC89's post:
  • josh987654321