Little Green Men
I used to really be into UFO and alien conspiracies, going even as far to buy into the "ancient aliens" theory of the Nephilim being alien-human hybrids and so-forth. Now that my knowledge of Catholicism has expanded, in particular my awareness of the preternatural, I've come to the conclusion that the UFO/alien phenomena of the post-modern era is really just a resurgence of preternatural activity, i.e. demons.

Demons are deceivers, they are liars, and they will do everything they possibly can to get mankind to turn away from God. And this has clearly happened within our own culture, with the steady rise and popularization of the occult and the New Age phenomenon of the past 50 years. Many look to the skies for some super-advanced "race" of cosmic creatures to come and liberate us from the evils of our oppressors. As man has become more secularized, he has lost his knowledge of the forces with overlap our world, namely the deceptions of the demons. And it is in light of this I have realized that out of the thousands of claims to have seen or experienced "otherworldly" UFO phenomena, there are those genuine occurrences which have many similarities to that of demonic obsession or even possession.

I bring this up because I am currently reading a book by the late Orthodox Hieromonk Fr. Seraphim Rose, "Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future". Now, I'm quite partial to Fr. Seraphim, despite the fact he's Orthodox, because many of his perceptions of modernity have come to fruition. I find this book a very enlightening analysis of the influx of Eastern religions and spiritualism into our formerly Christian culture, of course, skimming over his digs at the Roman Catholic Church with rolling eyes. Anyway, within the book Fr. Seraphim devotes an entire section to the UFO phenomenon and honestly affirms the exact suspicions I've grown to have of it. It's there to propagate a new philosophy which entwines with the scientistic and evolutionist worldviews, that of the possibility of benevolent (or malevolent) "enlightened" beings who may or may not be interacting with mankind. It has arisen to fill the void of the preternatural that has eroded and disappeared in the greater culture. When we look at some of the more believable occurrences, not to mention the frequency of these claims by the decade, we can see that they aren't that much different from the demonic influences which many early Christians dealt with. Fr. Seraphim cites several stories of the saints which could be seen as "alien encounter" stories today.

What perceptions of this phenomena, as Catholics (or Orthodox), do you seem to have?
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

“Behold this Heart which has so loved men that It spared nothing, even going so far as to exhaust and consume Itself to prove to them Its love” - Our Lord to St. Margaret Mary

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/

Malachi Martin was right.
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • cassini, Zedta
There's a great YouTube channel called TheScariestMovieEver that has a ton of cool stuff about aliens as demons or some sort of interdimensional being.  

My take is similiar to the late Hieromonk Seraphim Rose--aliens don't exist- - they are a demonic deception.  Personally I think the antichrist might come in the guise of an "alien saviour" but will really be some demonic entity taking the form of what people believe to be a benign creature from a different planet.  Childhoods End anyone? 

As for the Nephilim, that is another strong possibility.  The Bible is clear about these supposed giants.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
[-] The following 2 users Like formerbuddhist's post:
  • cassini, Zedta
(08-13-2019, 06:04 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: There's a great YouTube channel called TheScariestMovieEver that has a ton of cool stuff about aliens as demons or some sort of interdimensional being.  

My take is similiar to the late Hieromonk Seraphim Rose--aliens don't exist- - they are a demonic deception.  Personally I think the antichrist might come in the guise of an "alien saviour" but will really be some demonic entity taking the form of what people believe to be a benign creature from a different planet.  Childhoods End anyone? 

As for the Nephilim, that is another strong possibility.  The Bible is clear about these supposed giants.

My opinion is that here in the U.S., the push to "find" "life" on Mars - any semblance of it, no matter how undeveloped - is good enough without finding the stereotypical alien.  It's hard to go a week or two about headlines about methane on Mars, or water on Mars, and how these are indicative of an almost certain chance that life may have existed there at some point.  That's all the secular, materialist science needs to "prove" that life can and will spring up on its own under the right conditions.  The push of "STEM" in schools has ulterior motives, to get kids to believe that the only truths come from experiments and material evidence.

In many ways, society is advancing towards the "man in place of God" as outlined in the Catechism, now moreso than ever with the ability to manipulate via science. 

I'll check out that channel though, it sounds entertaining.
[-] The following 3 users Like LionHippo's post:
  • cassini, formerbuddhist, Zedta
I think that science is something that we should study, and we should be open to discovering new life forms. Catholics, to include clergy, have been doing this for centuries. While it's good to be on the lookout for demons, we should remember that they are fallen angels and therefore pure spirit. The unknown in the material universe aren't necessarily demonic.

I can't even begin to understand the will of God in its fullness, and that includes his creations in this vast universe.

We should teach science in the classroom and we should teach the truth of the Church as well, they're quite compatible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jack89's post:
  • MaryTN
I find it unlikely that intelligent aliens have visited us.  I also find it unlikely that there are more than maybe a handful of planets in this galaxy with intelligent life on them, if that.  We are probably the only intelligent, advanced (as we understand it) species in at least this section of the galaxy.  

I also doubt very strongly that we are the only planet with life on it in the universe.  I firmly reject that God created galaxies so distant, with all of their constituent stars and planets, that we would have no chance of ever getting to, some we will never see, solely for his glory.  If a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, does it really make a sound?  If God creates a galaxy, and there is no one there to take notice of it, does it really glorify God?  Only if he is a narcissist, reveling in his own glory for his own pleasure.

If we are truly the existential center of the universe, then God never needed to make anything more than our galaxy.  Young-earth creationists and geocentrists would probably see no greater need for anything than our solar system and the near stars visible with the naked eye.  In reality, from what we know about the universe, and dismissing the ludicrous assumptions made by these geocentric and YEC pseudoscientific charlatans, our solar system couldn't exist without at least the whole Milky Way galaxy.  But beyond that, nothing is necessary.  The rest of the universe is superfluous if we are all there is.

The one thing that makes me wonder about if we maybe really have been visited by other intelligent life forms are the sightings that include verifiable, material evidence.  These are few and far between, from what I've read, so I could accept that the majority of real sightings are demonic.  But demons are spiritual.  They can make illusions.  They cannot create.  The Bible-Answer Man, who converted to Eastern Orthodoxy a few years ago, had a really good explanation on why demons can't create, I wish I could remember it.  But suffice it to say, demons cannot create.  If they could, they could create actual intelligent life forms to visit us.  They could create dinosaur bones in the ground to make us believe in an evolution that never took place, or a world that is far older than it actually is.  If demons can create, liars as they are, it is absolutely impossible for us to know the truth in any way, as our ability to perceive, and to reason with that which we perceive, is entirely unreliable.  For those sightings that have left physical evidence, something actually happened that had nothing to do with demons.  Perhaps it is not extraterrestrial either, but whatever it is, it is entirely natural.
I have resigned myself to the reality that I shall have no peace or joy should I continue to exist for eternity.  The question of deism or Christianity no longer matters.  I hope that Christianity is a farce, and that when I die, my consciousness will cease to exist.  In the meantime, I ask the Theotokos to be at my side at my judgement and ask her to intercede to, as I beg, Christ to have mercy on me and to allow me to cease to exist when I die.
[-] The following 2 users Like Melkite's post:
  • jack89, Zedta
Little green men are grey now, and according to Aleister Crowley demons, as he claims to have had a book dictated to him by one, much in the manner of Muhammad and Joseph Smith.

As the Chinese say : interesting times .

Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
[-] The following 2 users Like Blind Horus's post:
  • Augustinian, Zedta
(08-13-2019, 02:59 PM)Blind Horus Wrote: Little green men are grey now, and according to Aleister Crowley demons, as he claims to have had a book dictated to him by one, much in the manner of Muhammad and Joseph Smith.

As the Chinese say : interesting times .

I remember as a teenager looking into Crowley and remarking at his drawing of his demon. You know, in hindsight, I used to have an irrational fear of aliens. Like I would spook myself real good thinking about them looking in my windows and stuff. The same goes for the demonic, I used to be terrified of it when I wasn't Catholic. But now it's like, well, what can a demon do to me that isn't already supervised by God?
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

“Behold this Heart which has so loved men that It spared nothing, even going so far as to exhaust and consume Itself to prove to them Its love” - Our Lord to St. Margaret Mary

[-] The following 3 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • Blind Horus, JacafamalaRedux, Zedta
Norio Hayakawa notices things...

Is everything that came out of the Twentieth Century evil?

Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blind Horus's post:
  • Zedta
I have no problem with believing that we are the only planet in the entire universe with intelligent life on it. I don't think this makes God vain or narcissistic. Just because we can't see out that far or comprehend it all doesn't mean that God just did it to revel in His creation. Perhaps he put it there to indeed humble us and to realize that we are the image of His creation.

God can see all His creation at once. It isn't "big" to Him like it is to us. Even a single atom has a lot of empty space within, relative to the size of the nucleus and electrons and their distance from each other. Some things are created for their pure beauty. The beautiful European Cathedrals were build very large and high, arguably with a lot of extra space not really serving a purpose. But they give glory to God and allow us to marvel at the ingenuity of our fellow man, just as the depths of the universe help us to realize how vast God's creation is, regardless of whether other life is out there.
[-] The following 3 users Like LionHippo's post:
  • Ambrosiano, Augustinian, Zedta
(08-13-2019, 10:48 PM)LionHippo Wrote: I have no problem with believing that we are the only planet in the entire universe with intelligent life on it.  I don't think this makes God vain or narcissistic.  Just because we can't see out that far or comprehend it all doesn't mean that God just did it to revel in His creation.  Perhaps he put it there to indeed humble us and to realize that we are the image of His creation.

God can see all His creation at once.  It isn't "big" to Him like it is to us.  Even a single atom has a lot of empty space within, relative to the size of the nucleus and electrons and their distance from each other.  Some things are created for their pure beauty.  The beautiful European Cathedrals were build very large and high, arguably with a lot of extra space not really serving a purpose.  But they give glory to God and allow us to marvel at the ingenuity of our fellow man, just as the depths of the universe help us to realize how vast God's creation is, regardless of whether other life is out there.

The universe is a cathedral exalting the glory of God. An absolutely beautiful point, and I agree wholeheartedly with your viewpoint. Man believed he was alone in the cosmos for almost the entirety of his existence until the post-Enlightenment period, then he suddenly decided that maybe he isn't so special with no real concrete evidence to back it up. I honestly am beginning to think that the belief we are not the only rational beings in the universe, coupled with scientism and evolution, are philosophies that could be categorized as those which "deceive even the elect."

[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • LionHippo, Zedta