Is wasting a bit of time at work grave matter?
Say you take a long personal phone call or something — is that a serious offence against the 8th Commandment?
(08-13-2019, 11:23 AM)FultonFan Wrote: Say you take a long personal phone call or something — is that a serious offence against the 8th Commandment?

No.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
No, it just makes you a bad employee.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • GoodKingWenceslas
(08-13-2019, 11:23 AM)FultonFan Wrote: Say you take a long personal phone call or something — is that a serious offence against the 8th Commandment?

You owe your employer your work in justice. If you take some of what he is owed away it's a form of injustice. You owe him that time back no matter what, unless he says you don't.

"Hey, Jim, my wife's calling and it might be urgent, do you mind if I take a few minutes for this?" "No problem, Steve." (If this, then he probably doesn't expect those few minutes back).

There is a degree of common sense here. If an employee is never allowed to attend to a pressing personal matter, or get a minute or two here or there to deal with these things, he will be stressed and not work as well. The boss should be interested not only in the employee's work, but also his good outside of work, too, since it's human, and it's also good for business.

Sin only comes in when you are culpable for this.

If there was a necessity, then you still owe the time back, but there's no sin committed.

If unnecessary, then it is sinful, but unless you have done a serious harm to the employer by it then it's not grave.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • MaryTN
(08-13-2019, 03:37 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:

You owe your employer your work in justice. If you take some of what he is owed away it's a form of injustice. You owe him that time back no matter what, unless he says you don't.

"Hey, Jim, my wife's calling and it might be urgent, do you mind if I take a few minutes for this?" "No problem, Steve." (If this, then he probably doesn't expect those few minutes back).

There is a degree of common sense here. If an employee is never allowed to attend to a pressing personal matter, or get a minute or two here or there to deal with these things, he will be stressed and not work as well. The boss should be interested not only in the employee's work, but also his good outside of work, too, since it's human, and it's also good for business.

Sin only comes in when you are culpable for this.

If there was a necessity, then you still owe the time back, but there's no sin committed.

If unnecessary, then it is sinful, but unless you have done a serious harm to the employer by it then it's not grave.

Definitely unnecessary. I was calling the bank.
However, damage to employer?  Very, very minimal, if anything at all.
I estimate it was about half hour I wasted (maybe a little more).
I stayed approx. 30 mins later today.
Tomorrow I’ll be extra diligent.
If that's the case, then someone in management, like myself, is in a constant state of grave sin.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

“Behold this Heart which has so loved men that It spared nothing, even going so far as to exhaust and consume Itself to prove to them Its love” - Our Lord to St. Margaret Mary

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/

Malachi Martin was right.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • Some Guy
I'd think it's mainly an issue if you are not getting your job done. If you you have 6 hours of work to do today and you have an 8 hour work day, there's going to be down time unless you manage to stretch out that work longer. If you have a day where there's nothing going on at all, then what are you supposed to do? I guess you can seek out additional work if that's possible. However, I think if you're getting your job done then you're doing what your company is paying you to do regardless of how long it takes for you to do it.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like GangGreen's post:
  • MagisterMusicae, Some Guy, Steven
(08-13-2019, 05:44 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I'd think it's mainly an issue if you are not getting your job done. If you you have 6 hours of work to do today and you have an 8 hour work day, there's going to be down time unless you manage to stretch out that work longer. If you have a day where there's nothing going on at all, then what are you supposed to do? I guess you can seek out additional work if that's possible. However, I think if you're getting your job done then you're doing what your company is paying you to do regardless of how long it takes for you to do it.
I absolutely agree with this. I always had a work hard play hard mentality with my team. If they busted their but and got the job done and done right then I had no problem with them relaxing a little bit or even leaving a little early. Makes for a much better work environment and stuff gets done.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
[-] The following 3 users Like SeeTheLight's post:
  • Augustinian, josh987654321, Steven
(08-13-2019, 04:12 PM)FultonFan Wrote: I stayed approx. 30 mins later today.

That's a bad idea, I would not recommend that.

The problem with staying back 30mins to make up for it is that nobody will see it and if they do the assumption is that you can't get all your work done in the time allocated, in some workplaces this can be really bad if you have bad co-workers. If I'm 5min late one day and I stay back 10min to make up for it, your still the guy who 'arrives late' and thus a bad employee regardless of the work you do or how late you stay back.

If you arrive 5min early and leave on time (or 5min late, careful with that though, best to leave with everyone else, never early though) you could have still had that 30min phone call (I would recommend doing it over lunch however), still got all your work done, and be seen as a good employee and hard worker. The most important thing is to arrive 5min early.

Also if you have a timesheet, it's a good idea to diligently fill it out and with lots of information. e.g. "Answered Phone Calls Mrs X, Mrs Y, Mr T, Mr J, Mrs M - 1 Hour" or "Answered Phone Calls x6 - 1 Hour" looks much better then just "Answering Phone Calls - 1 Hour".

God Bless
"Behold the Heart that has so loved men that it has spared nothing, even to exhausting and consuming Itself, in order to testify Its love; in return, I receive from the greater part only ingratitude, by their irreverence and sacrilege, and by the coldness and contempt they have for Me in this Sacrament of Love. But what I feel most keenly is that it is hearts which are consecrated to Me that treat Me thus.” - St. Margaret Mary. Ignored by King of France Culminating in French Revolution.

"Charity concert at Cdl. Schonborn's Cathedral features shirtless actor dancing on Communion rail" - Dec 4, 2018

I would advise extreme caution and not to be scrupulous over it.

I remember being scrupulous over "being accountable" for every minute and "owing it in justice" to the boss, etc.  I got to the point where I would say, "I'm thirsty and need to go get a glass of water.  I'd better clock out lest I bill them unfairly for the minute I wasn't working."  It was horrendously stressful, but was the logical conclusion of owing them every minute, when mixed with scruples.

Wasting hours and not getting your work done isn't right.  But don't be scrupulous over minutes when you're fundamentally getting your work done well.

It's understood (or should be) that we're humans who can't always perform at 100%, not cogs in a machine -- and if it isn't understood, then the fault lies on the employer for expecting it rather than you for not being able to live up to it.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steven's post:
  • josh987654321