Is wasting a bit of time at work grave matter?
(08-13-2019, 08:33 PM)josh987654321 Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 04:12 PM)FultonFan Wrote: I stayed approx. 30 mins later today.

That's a bad idea, I would not recommend that.

The problem with staying back 30mins to make up for it is that nobody will see it and if they do the assumption is that you can't get all your work done in the time allocated, in some workplaces this can be really bad if you have bad co-workers. If I'm 5min late one day and I stay back 10min to make up for it, your still the guy who 'arrives late' and thus a bad employee regardless of the work you do or how late you stay back.

If you arrive 5min early and leave on time (or 5min late, careful with that though, best to leave with everyone else, never early though) you could have still had that 30min phone call (I would recommend doing it over lunch however), still got all your work done, and be seen as a good employee and hard worker. The most important thing is to arrive 5min early.

Also if you have a timesheet, it's a good idea to diligently fill it out and with lots of information. e.g. "Answered Phone Calls Mrs X, Mrs Y, Mr T, Mr J, Mrs M - 1 Hour" or "Answered Phone Calls x6 - 1 Hour" looks much better then just "Answering Phone Calls - 1 Hour".

God Bless

Reparation for injustice isn't about being "seen", but about repairing and making up for the injustice.

If you don't do 30 minutes of work you are supposed to do, you owe 30 minutes of work. It doesn't matter how you do it, but you need to do it. Whatever way chosen, it's not about been "seen" to be working. In fact, other's opinions don't really matter, and might even be humiliating, so an opportunity for added merit.

The best way to repair is in a hidden manner, if possible, and if the injustice was not public, because then there is little chance for pride. When "what might other people think" come into the consideration, then it's often a sin of human respect or carnal prudence that is taking over, and not the spirit of reparation and virtue of Justice.

The spirit behind this is that your employer pays you to do a certain amount of work. If he is getting that out of you, you have fulfilled your duty. If you harm your employer by not working as you ought (time or otherwise) then you need to make up for this. It's not a strict mathematical calculation, but is a matter of Justice.

That said, just because a matter of Justice, it is not always a grave sin. One can be mildly unjust, but he still need to make up for that injustice, in so far as possible.
(08-14-2019, 10:43 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Reparation for injustice isn't about being "seen", but about repairing and making up for the injustice.

Well if they start 5min early every morning not only will the OP make up for the injustice in a week but also be seen as a good employee and hard worker.

(08-14-2019, 10:43 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: If you don't do 30 minutes of work you are supposed to do, you owe 30 minutes of work.

What about 1.5 hours over time every shift without pay? sounds like a good employee right? but nope, looks bad and makes you a bad employee, because then people start looking at the manager and they can't have that.

(08-14-2019, 10:43 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: It doesn't matter how you do it, but you need to do it. Whatever way chosen, it's not about been "seen" to be working. In fact, other's opinions don't really matter, and might even be humiliating, so an opportunity for added merit.

Like I said, OP will make up for it starting 5min early in a weeks time, obviously we never sin to try and appease our employers, but there are things we can do to both not sin and appease these employers.

(08-14-2019, 10:43 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: The best way to repair is in a hidden manner, if possible, and if the injustice was not public, because then there is little chance for pride. When "what might other people think" come into the consideration, then it's often a sin of human respect or carnal prudence that is taking over, and not the spirit of reparation and virtue of Justice.

Well it is a reality I have had to learn the hard way, it does indeed matter what people think. Of course if they think badly of me I am not going to sin or anything to look good in their eyes because God must always come first, but you must also go out of your way for appearances whenever it doesn't conflict with God, it's very stupid and superficial, but that's what happens in the secular pagan world a lot unfortunately since common sense just isn't common anymore.

We must be wise as snakes and innocent as doves, both matter very much. It's not enough just to be innocent as a dove.

God Bless You
"Behold the Heart that has so loved men that it has spared nothing, even to exhausting and consuming Itself, in order to testify Its love; in return, I receive from the greater part only ingratitude, by their irreverence and sacrilege, and by the coldness and contempt they have for Me in this Sacrament of Love. But what I feel most keenly is that it is hearts which are consecrated to Me that treat Me thus.” - St. Margaret Mary. Ignored by King of France Culminating in French Revolution.

"Charity concert at Cdl. Schonborn's Cathedral features shirtless actor dancing on Communion rail" - Dec 4, 2018