Foxe's Book of Martyrs
Is Foxe's "Book of Martyrs" basically anti-Catholic propaganda? Perusing through the table of contents online gives me that impression. Plus, I looked at Wikipedia to see that it was primarily a work of Protestant history first published in 1563. At best, it seems like a book detailing the abuses of one side of the conflict and not the other (as if there were no abuses of Catholics by Protestants).
"To tamper with man's freedom is not only to injure him, to degrade him; it is to change his nature, to render him, in so far as such oppression is exercised, incapable of improvement; it is to strip him of his resemblance to the Creator, to stifle within him the noble breath of life with which he was endowed at his creation." - Frederic Bastiat

"An unjust law is no law at all." St. Augustine

(08-14-2019, 10:48 AM)A Texas Libertarian Wrote: Is Foxe's "Book of Martyrs" basically anti-Catholic propaganda?

Yes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Paul's post:
  • A Texas Libertarian, boredoftheworld
(08-14-2019, 10:48 AM)A Texas Libertarian Wrote: Is Foxe's "Book of Martyrs" basically anti-Catholic propaganda? Perusing through the table of contents online gives me that impression. Plus, I looked at Wikipedia to see that it was primarily a work of Protestant history first published in 1563. At best, it seems like a book detailing the abuses of one side of the conflict and not the other (as if there were no abuses of Catholics by Protestants).

It sat on my father's bookshelves for decades. I picked it up for the first time long before I began to look at Catholicism but after I'd began to study history as an undergrad. The parts that aren't entirely fabricated are exaggerated and purposefully misleading. There's an American equivalent titled "The Trail of Blood" which is... either a result of insanity or demonic influence that purports to be a history of Baptists going back to the Apostles. Unfortunately for the author and its adherents he claims every evil heretic in history as a baptist precursor. OK, have fun with that, if you want to claim the Waldensians, the Cathars, the Paulicians, and the Donatists as your fathers in faith then go nuts.

It's all the same kind of stuff, made up garbage thrown at a wall in the hopes something will stick.
[-] The following 1 user Likes boredoftheworld's post:
  • A Texas Libertarian