What do Protestants experience when they describe a “personal relationship with God”?
(09-08-2019, 03:05 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: I wish I had a personal relationship with Jesus, where he actually talks to me.
I don't.  I have a corporate relationship (i.e. I'm in his Church) and I need to get it through my thick skull that I can't be that close to Jesus that I could be a mystic.   I must be an egomaniacial narcissist to think I could get that close to Jesus.

A 'personal relationship with Jesus' makes me recoil on account of the notion being Protestant in origin and nature, generally (if not entirely) leading to irreverence and/or misunderstanding our place before God.

Having closeness/intimacy with Our Lord does not require one to subscribe to this perspective, since many of the Mystics had that without doing so, just like we all can, even if we don't reach the heights of Mysticism.

Also, does belonging to the Church mean nothing to you? You're speaking about the Church as though it's being treated like a business, but isn't the Church about all of us together and so - according to the original meaning of 'corporate' referring to a group/community etc. as opposed to its contemporary meaning of corporations - sharing (the highest and greatest) corporate unity?

Obviously each person is made in the Image and Likeness of God. Yet when you make it about you ('personal'), by changing it from the (profound) spirituality of Religion into the emotionalism of a 'relationship', then isn't all of that at least a little bit egomaniacal and/or narcissistic?

If any of us do truly love God (especially with all our heart, soul, mind and strength), then that will surely only come through humility, which seems to me to be incompatible with the (Protestant) 'personal relationship' and its emphasis on Self.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stephanus ignotum's post:
  • XavierSem

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do Protestants experience when they describe a “personal relationship with God”? - by Stephanus ignotum - 09-10-2019, 07:37 PM