What do Protestants experience when they describe a “personal relationship with God”?
(08-14-2019, 12:43 PM)boredoftheworld Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 11:22 AM)FultonFan Wrote: I assume everyone’s familiar with “accepting Christ as your personal Saviour” as described by many Protestants. Many of these people seem to be doing what’s right according to a dulled conscience.

So what are they experiencing when they go to Christ in prayer? Are they receiving graces to lead them to full Communion with the Church? Is it something else they’re experiencing?

Having observed evangelical Christians for my entire life either as one or running from them I can say with zero hesitation that the answer to your question is: nothing. They're making it up, usually unconsciously (which is different than subconsciously apparently) or with full awareness. The whole "Personal Lord and Savior" business is a bonkers strawman attack on Catholicism. I think the whole concept arose from theological confusion at the beginning of the 20th century when Christians contrasted their understanding of God as being a Person with the "uncaused cause" of the spiritualists and various weirdos in the UK. Americans, as is typical, took the idea and ran with it while not having even the first clue what they were talking about and decided the whole argument was this personal relationship thing.

That gave rise to the whole "Me and Jesus" insanity which is an extension of American rugged individualism. I suppose it's what happens when political philosophy informs theology rather than the other way round.

As someone who started out in a Baptist church about 20 years ago right about the time I was becoming a man, I can say that I agree with you.  I didn't feel anything, I didn't believe that just by praying that God would forgive me he actually would.  And then it really bugged me, what if I made more mistakes, do I just get to accept Jesus as my savior again and everything is forgiven again?  It's totally inconsistent with itself, doesn't have any objective signs and makes no sense to me.  I guess some people really get some good "feelz" from it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bradm73's post:
  • Stephanus ignotum

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do Protestants experience when they describe a “personal relationship with God”? - by Bradm73 - 09-12-2019, 07:55 PM