Computer Help for Jovan
Hello friends,

I'm posting on behalf of our friend Jovan (jovan66102), the most prolific poster on this forum.  It would appear his computer is malfunctioning, largely cutting him off from being able to write his blog or comment here, except by laborious and tedious typing on an old tablet.

I offered I would post information about the issue he's having here, in hopes someone would know how to fix it.  So here I've quoted what he sent to me:

jovan66102 Wrote:First, the key board started sticking! Luckily my 11 year old grandson pointed out that I had an onscreen keyboard, so for the last several months, all my typing has been done by 'point and click'.

It also developed the habit of the cursor becoming unresponsive. This necessitated hard booting by shutting it off and restarting it, since I couldn't even use the 'restart' button in the power menu.

Then, about two days ago, the cursor developed a new habit! When I clicked on a tab to open it, instead of opening, it closed! I could use the restart button in this case, but another problem arose. Once it restarted, I couldn't get to the sign in screen for several minutes. Those several minutes have now become hours! After about three hours, I just got to the sign in screen a few minutes ago. And once I signed in, it immediately repeated itself. 

I've gone online to look for a solution. I've found everything from it's a virus to it's the mouse. The latter is unlikely. I use an exterior wireless mouse on a laptop with a touchpad mouse, they both do the same thing.

Another suggestion I found online was that it's a glitch in Chrome, which I use. Nope. Tried MS Edge. Did the same things there.

I should also mention that it wasn't much of a computer to begin with, but it was the best the my wife could afford when she bought it for me (and much more than I could afford!). The Windows 10 OS was already out of date when she ordered it, and it doesn't have enough memory to update the OS.

Is anyone here able to help him?  I'd love to myself, but I've been away from Windows for so many years that I don't know how to repair it anymore.

Thank you very much!
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
Upgrade to Windows 7.
I built my own PC and have learned a lot about building, servicing and troubleshooting PC's too.

The first thing I need are his specs (specifications) so just fill out this information as best you can -

Type of PC: Laptop or Desktop?

If Laptop, I'll need the model or product name to search for it's specs, it should be somewhere on the laptop e.g. -

[Image: 767_4.jpeg?cfwIK3ID6PT9IBJY9jjRL9Jsx32EevIW]

Don't need the bottom stuff and not a good idea to give it out either, I just need the Product Name such as '5th Generation: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon'

Once I have this information I can look up the specs. You also say Windows 10 was out of date when ordered? That's very odd, because Windows does not go out of date like that and especially not Windows 10 which is the latest version. What Operating System is it running?

A couple things you can try asap is unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in again, if it's wireless check batteries, also turn off the onscreen keypad if the laptop has a keyboard.

God Bless
"Behold the Heart that has so loved men that it has spared nothing, even to exhausting and consuming Itself, in order to testify Its love; in return, I receive from the greater part only ingratitude, by their irreverence and sacrilege, and by the coldness and contempt they have for Me in this Sacrament of Love. But what I feel most keenly is that it is hearts which are consecrated to Me that treat Me thus.” - St. Margaret Mary. Ignored by King of France Culminating in French Revolution.

"Charity concert at Cdl. Schonborn's Cathedral features shirtless actor dancing on Communion rail" - Dec 4, 2018

(08-14-2019, 09:51 PM)Paul Wrote: Upgrade to Windows 7.

lol
"Behold the Heart that has so loved men that it has spared nothing, even to exhausting and consuming Itself, in order to testify Its love; in return, I receive from the greater part only ingratitude, by their irreverence and sacrilege, and by the coldness and contempt they have for Me in this Sacrament of Love. But what I feel most keenly is that it is hearts which are consecrated to Me that treat Me thus.” - St. Margaret Mary. Ignored by King of France Culminating in French Revolution.

"Charity concert at Cdl. Schonborn's Cathedral features shirtless actor dancing on Communion rail" - Dec 4, 2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes josh987654321's post:
  • GarciaMoreno1594
(08-15-2019, 12:50 AM)josh987654321 Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 09:51 PM)Paul Wrote: Upgrade to Windows 7.

lol

Better yet: Get a Mac.

Sticking tongue out at you
(08-15-2019, 01:00 AM)Bonaventure Wrote: Better yet: Get a Mac.

Sticking tongue out at you

lol noooooo! Can't help ya if u get a Mac Big Grin

Steven,
Josh987654321 is right: the make and model of Jovan's laptop will help in this. I'm Tech Support for a relatively large school system. With that, a person google the manual for it, and also look for any oddities regarding that model on the manufacturer's website. These days, my support is mostly Dell PCs running Windows 10 (up to version 1903) and five flavors of Chrome Book, as well as iPads (managed through Jamf), but I've been support most of the time for over twenty years. If you'd care to share Jovan's make and model, I'd be glad to try to help. I feel I must add, that while I don't have any older pc laptops laying around at the moment, I do have an older MacBook Pro I'd happily send his way, if needed, though I'm guessing he'd prefer a PC.
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
Maybe we can pool some money to help get jovan a new comp.
I've got three crappy old laptops running some version of Linux Ubuntu. If it isn't too pricey to ship he's welcome to have one.  I think one is an old Toshiba and the other is a pretty trusty Dell Latitude. 
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon