The server dropped the Host today
Today for the Assumption I could only go to a NO parish, and the one I go to is okay, the Church itself is beautiful and I like the priest. But when I went up to get communion I was stuck in the line where the altar server was distributing communion, when I went to kneel and stick my tongue out the Host was fumbled and fell on the floor. I let out a horrified "oh God" and the server quickly picked It up and ate It then gave me another.

I've never had this happen, so I'm in a bit of shock. I'm not usually scrupulous, but did I sin when this happened?
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/
No, I doubt you sinned, no fault there, but the 'server' erred.

A Purificator should have been placed over the Host and then they should change position so as not to step on the Host and prevent others from stepping on the Host. Later, the Host and the spot it landed on could be Purified correctly.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
[-] The following 2 users Like Zedta's post:
  • Augustinian, Ioannes_L
(08-15-2019, 04:03 PM)Zedta Wrote: No, I doubt you sinned, no fault there, but the 'server' erred.

A Purificator should have been placed over the Host and then they should change position so as not to step on the Host and prevent others from stepping on the Host. Later, the Host and the spot it landed on could be Purified correctly.

That is not correct.

De defectibus in celebratione missae reads as such: "If a consecrated host or any particle of it falls to the ground or floor, it is to be taken up reverently, a little water is to be poured over the place where it fell, and the place is to be dried with a purificator."

You most certainly should not just leave the Host on the floor, and cover it in a purificator.  It should be immediately and reverently picked up and consumed, and then the floor purified -- the latter part of which can be postponed in the manner you described, if necessary.  Though an unattended purificator on the ground is begging to be kicked or stepped upon, so it probably would be better to have a server or usher protect the spot until such time as a cleric is able to purify it.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
[-] The following 2 users Like Steven's post:
  • Augustinian, Ioannes_L
(08-15-2019, 05:45 PM)Steven Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 04:03 PM)Zedta Wrote: No, I doubt you sinned, no fault there, but the 'server' erred.

That is not correct.

De defectibus in celebratione missae reads as such: "If a consecrated host or any particle of it falls to the ground or floor, it is to be taken up reverently, a little water is to be poured over the place where it fell, and the place is to be dried with a purificator."

You most certainly should not just leave the Host on the floor, and cover it in a purificator.  It should be immediately and reverently picked up and consumed, and then the floor purified -- the latter part of which can be postponed in the manner you described, if necessary.  Though an unattended purificator on the ground is begging to be kicked or stepped upon, so it probably would be better to have a server or usher protect the spot until such time as a cleric is able to purify it.

I stand corrected.

Yes, the Host should be retrieved first.

The procedure I cited was for a Precious Blood spill.

My error.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
(08-15-2019, 05:45 PM)Steven Wrote:

That is not correct.

I've seen things like this happening during Mass and that's the normal procedure.
Truth be told, they always happened in "trad" circles, so I have no clue what others might do.
Ite ad Ioseph
(08-15-2019, 06:15 PM)Zedta Wrote: I stand corrected.

Yes, the Host should be retrieved first.

The procedure I cited was for a Precious Blood spill.

My error.

*{]:-) No worries. I was only so direct for the sake of those who might stumble across this in the future from the Internet and only skim the first few posts.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.