Little Office of the...
Is there a difference between the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Little Office of the Immaculate Conception, or are they different names of the same thing?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
(08-17-2019, 05:29 PM)OLOTS Wrote: Is there a difference between the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Little Office of the Immaculate Conception, or are they different names of the same thing?  

Big difference.

The Little Office of the B.V.M. is a devotion that arose during the middle ages. It copies the Divine Office which priests and religious recite every day and which is based on the recitation of the Psalter.

For Mattins and Lauds, usually recited at dawn, you'll recite some of the Psalms and do some readings from Sacred Scripture, for the LO, this is most often from the Book of Ecclesiasticus or the Canticle of Canticles.

It became customary for priests and religious to recite the Little Office after they'd chanted the Divine Office. It was suppressed by Pope St. Pius V in 1568, but many religious congregations continued to use it and it has always been especially popular amongst laity.

The Little Office of the Immaculate Conception is just a simplified version of the same idea, but instead of actual psalms you'll just recite or sing a hymn and do a brief reading of the Bible (usually a verse or two). It is much simpler and quicker than the actual Divine Office of the Little Office.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alphonse il Segundo's post:
  • OLOTS
(08-17-2019, 06:13 PM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 05:29 PM)OLOTS Wrote: Is there a difference between the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Little Office of the Immaculate Conception, or are they different names of the same thing?  

Big difference.

The Little Office of the B.V.M. is a devotion that arose during the middle ages. It copies the Divine Office which priests and religious recite every day and which is based on the recitation of the Psalter.

For Mattins and Lauds, usually recited at dawn, you'll recite some of the Psalms and do some readings from Sacred Scripture, for the LO, this is most often from the Book of Ecclesiasticus or the Canticle of Canticles.

It became customary for priests and religious to recite the Little Office after they'd chanted the Divine Office. It was suppressed by Pope St. Pius V in 1568, but many religious congregations continued to use it and it has always been especially popular amongst laity.

The Little Office of the Immaculate Conception is just a simplified version of the same idea, but instead of actual psalms you'll just recite or sing a hymn and do a brief reading of the Bible (usually a verse or two). It is much simpler and quicker than the actual Divine Office of the Little Office.
Thank you.

As a shortened version does the BVM contain what is in the IC, or are they substantially different? I ask because I want to add the IC to my prayer regimen based on my priest's recommendation, and I will be receiving the BVM soon. Am I just getting more with the BVM or will I still need to get the IC?

Not sure I understand what you're asking. 

The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary is substantially different from the Little Office of the Immaculate Conception. 

I would talk to your spiritual father in matters spiritual. If he recommends the Little Office of the Immaculate Conception then that would not be the same as the actual Little Office.
(08-18-2019, 04:29 PM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote: Not sure I understand what you're asking. 

The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary is substantially different from the Little Office of the Immaculate Conception. 

I would talk to your spiritual father in matters spiritual. If he recommends the Little Office of the Immaculate Conception then that would not be the same as the actual Little Office.

If you would like to see these side by side, courtesy of the Wayback Machine:

The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The Little Office of the Immaculate Conception

The Little Office of the Seven Sorrows
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alphonse il Segundo's post:
  • OLOTS
(08-17-2019, 06:13 PM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote: It became customary for priests and religious to recite the Little Office after they'd chanted the Divine Office. It was suppressed by Pope St. Pius V in 1568, but many religious congregations continued to use it and it has always been especially popular amongst laity.

The suppression was of the obligatory recitation by clergy and religious of the Little Office in addition to the Breviary. The Little Office then became a private devotion, or was used in religious congregations where there was no obligation to the Breviary (those in simple vows).

It was particularly popular for religious congregations of vowed tertiaries to use the Little Office where the Second and First Orders would use the Breviary. That is the difference, for instance, between Second Order Dominican Nuns (who are cloistered contemplatives and bound to the Breviary) and Dominican Teaching Sisters (who are active religious, and not bound to the Breviary). Often the latter will use the Little Office for common prayers.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Alphonse il Segundo, OLOTS
(08-18-2019, 06:17 PM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 04:29 PM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote: Not sure I understand what you're asking. 

If you would like to see these side by side, courtesy of the Wayback Machine:

The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The Little Office of the Immaculate Conception

The Little Office of the Seven Sorrows
Thank you very much! That answers my question.

(08-18-2019, 07:18 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 06:13 PM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote: It became customary for priests and religious to recite the Little Office after they'd chanted the Divine Office. It was suppressed by Pope St. Pius V in 1568, but many religious congregations continued to use it and it has always been especially popular amongst laity.

The suppression was of the obligatory recitation by clergy and religious of the Little Office in addition to the Breviary. The Little Office then became a private devotion, or was used in religious congregations where there was no obligation to the Breviary (those in simple vows).

It was particularly popular for religious congregations of vowed tertiaries to use the Little Office where the Second and First Orders would use the Breviary. That is the difference, for instance, between Second Order Dominican Nuns (who are cloistered contemplatives and bound to the Breviary) and Dominican Teaching Sisters (who are active religious, and not bound to the Breviary). Often the latter will use the Little Office for common prayers.
Thank you for the background. Very helpful.