TLM: The One thing I can't Stand.
It is a balancing act, isn't it.
(08-19-2019, 09:01 AM)MyLady Wrote: What the glary people tend to forget in these situations is that those same crying babies are the future of the church.

If they are the future of the Church and just a fussy baby that mom or dad takes out to deal with when it becomes too much, Deo Gratias!

If they are the future of the Church, and not controlled (within reason) by their parents, then that future looks grim.

It's really in those first years that children learn how to behave and to obey their parents. If parents cannot be dutiful enough and situationally-aware of the impact their child's fussing and crying is causing to others, the discipline, formation and education of that child is likely to just make him into a monster later.

It is a balancing act. To hear a baby crying means that there is a baby and that's beautiful. To let that baby cry and ignore the impact on the child or the rest of the people around in a restaurant, church, theater, or public place where some decorum is required is not.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • LionHippo, Richard M. Sawicki
I usually just say a hail mary for the parents. It doesn't really bother me anymore when babies cry during Mass. 99.9% of the time at my parish the parent will take the baby into the narthex or a side room.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
(08-18-2019, 10:05 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: The thing that bothers me is when people glare over at a noisey or crying baby. It's a baby! Why can't people refrain for making the parents feel like crap and just continue to focus on the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass? Why is that so hard? 

I mean, yeah if the baby persists, then take them out, but people get out of hand here, at least at my church. I think it's awful.

At ”my” chapel all the little babies and children are very much accepted and enjoyed by everyone, & no one really looks anyplace other than at the altar. There’s no glaring whatsoever. Father has even said “It’s alright!” in the the middle of things when a mom’s started to carry a crying infant out. The message seemed to be, “ crying baby is not a problem.” Of course parents do take their little ones out when they think they should, too. But no one bats an eyelash. Just another reason for you to come for a visit!  :heart:
[-] The following 1 user Likes Margaret-Mary's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
(08-19-2019, 04:01 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: If they are the future of the Church and just a fussy baby that mom or dad takes out to deal with when it becomes too much, Deo Gratias!

If they are the future of the Church, and not controlled (within reason) by their parents, then that future looks grim.

It's really in those first years that children learn how to behave and to obey their parents. If parents cannot be dutiful enough and situationally-aware of the impact their child's fussing and crying is causing to others, the discipline, formation and education of that child is likely to just make him into a monster later.

It is a balancing act. To hear a baby crying means that there is a baby and that's beautiful. To let that baby cry and ignore the impact on the child or the rest of the people around in a restaurant, church, theater, or public place where some decorum is required is not.

Very true. I think sometimes - sometimes, just my opinion - a parent will take delight in a crying child, hoping that the rest of the faithful recognize their hardship and commitment to make it through Mass *no matter what* and perhaps even hoping for some type of remark so they can respond with a "This is the future of the Church!" speech.
(08-20-2019, 08:45 PM)LionHippo Wrote:
(08-19-2019, 04:01 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: If they are the future of the Church and just a fussy baby that mom or dad takes out to deal with when it becomes too much, Deo Gratias!

Very true.  I think sometimes - sometimes, just my opinion - a parent will take delight in a crying child, hoping that the rest of the faithful recognize their hardship and commitment to make it through Mass *no matter what* and perhaps even hoping for some type of remark so they can respond with a "This is the future of the Church!" speech.

Oh my gracious, I don't really think so. That'd be beyond the pale.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Has anyone else noticed the uptick in crying infants during the consecration? There always seems to be a crescendo of cries once the canon starts.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
(08-18-2019, 10:15 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: So is mine the only chapel where this happens? The people are otherwise very nice, mean at parties et al. It's just this sort of situation that seems to bring out the worst in a few.

You're not alone. I've seen it too.  I've never understood it

Gaudete in Domino Semper!