Churches in Chile
Smile 
The wife and I spent the latter half of July in Chile.  It was winter down there, which ended up being a nice break from the heat/humidity we were having here in the U.S.  To be honest, the 'worst' day down there (climate-wise) was the equivalent of the best autumn day here.  

This time around, we tried to make sure and stop to see Churches.  Chilean churches tend to be quite old, by American standards, many of them being built several centuries ago.  Also, this time around, we attended TLM-only for Holy Mass while in Santiago.  We discovered a diocesan parish that offers the TLM.  Actually, my wife discovered it last year when she was down there visiting.  She said that attendance has grown considerably since she last visited. The name of the Church is Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Victoria (Our Lady of Victory) and is located in the Bellavista neighborhood close to downtown in Santiago.  They offer the TLM (High Mass) Sunday's at 12:30pm, which includes a small choir for chant.  Here are some photos I took...

First, an exterior view...

[Image: IMG_5084.jpg?dl=0]

Next, a view of the nave from the entrance to the church.

[Image: IMG_5080.jpg?dl=0]

A view of their beautiful high altar and a statue of Our Lade of Fatima...

[Image: IMG_5074.jpg?dl=0]

There were two side altars, directly across from one another.  Here is one dedicated to Our Lady:

[Image: IMG_5079.jpg?dl=0]

And the other dedicated to St. Sebastian:

[Image: IMG_5082.jpg?dl=0]

Our view during Holy Mass:

[Image: IMG_5072.jpg?dl=0]

We also attended a Saturday (noon) TLM at an SSPX chapel Priorato Cristo Rey (Priory of Christ the King).  This is actually a newer building located in Las Condes, a more affluent suburb of Santiago.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos, so you'll have to rely on the linked website.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bonaventure's post:
  • andalusia, Some Guy
We then took about a two-hour flight to the northern portion of Chile, where we visited San Pedro de Atacama, a town in the high-plains Atacama desert (elev. ~8,000ft).  Here we visited, amongst other places, Iglesia San Pedro de Atacama.  Construction of this church began in the 17th Century under Spanish colonial rule. It is constructed primarily of adobe, with the walls, roof, and the entrance door being built with algarrobo wood and cardón (cactus wood), and bound together by llama leather, in the technique traditional to the altiplano.

[Image: IMG_5495.jpg?dl=0]

A view of the nave from entrance:

[Image: IMG_5037.jpg?dl=0]

A view of the nave from the opposing end:

[Image: IMG_5049.jpg?dl=0]

The High Altar:

[Image: IMG_5042.jpg?dl=0]

The pulpit:

[Image: IMG_5047.jpg?dl=0]

A first side chapel:

[Image: IMG_5044.jpg?dl=0]

An opposing second side chapel:

[Image: IMG_5040.jpg?dl=0]

Their banner:

[Image: IMG_5039.jpg?dl=0]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • Some Guy
Returning to Santiago, we eventually headed to el centro (downtown) wherein we took in two more churches.  The first was Iglesia de Santo Domingo.

[Image: IMG_5103.jpg?dl=0]

I had never been to this church before, and was impressed by its, albeit dark, interior.

[Image: IMG_5099.jpg?dl=0]

A closer image of the alter, with what I believe is Our Lady of Carmel:

[Image: IMG_5097.jpg?dl=0]

A side altar dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel (or St. Gabriel?--I really am not sure):

[Image: IMG_5098.jpg?dl=0]

Another side altar dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Patroness of Chile):

[Image: IMG_5100.jpg?dl=0]
  • Some Guy
A few minutes walk later, we finally made our way to the Catedral Metropolitana de Santiago.  Located on the Plaza de Armas, which is the main (and most popular) square in Santiago, there are always many people around.  It had been more than 10 years since I had stepped inside this Cathedral; this visit was like discovering it all over again.  Unlike any of the previous churches, this one is busy with people (mostly tourists) milling around.

[Image: IMG_5105.jpg?dl=0]

This Cathedral is enormous.  Immediately upon entering, to the left there is a large side chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel (again, the Patroness of Chile):

[Image: IMG_5109.jpg?dl=0]

[Image: IMG_5111.jpg?dl=0]

The nave is just beautiful.  Unfortunately, I only had my iPhone to take photos during this visit...

[Image: IMG_5127.jpg?dl=0]

One of the two great pulpits:

[Image: IMG_5116.jpg?dl=0]

Unique to the Cathedral, it houses an undercroft crypt where the remains of the bishops of Santiago (and maybe all of Chile?) are interred:

[Image: IMG_5125.jpg?dl=0]

There are also about two dozen side altars, none of which seem to have had any Holy Sacrifice of the Mass being said there in quite some time.  Some were the victim of disrepair.  All of them, though, were quite beautiful.

St. Michael the Archangel:

[Image: IMG_5113.jpg?dl=0]

A sculpture of the Pieta:

[Image: IMG_5114.jpg?dl=0]

[Image: IMG_5117.jpg?dl=0]

[Image: IMG_5118.jpg?dl=0]

This one contains the remains of a bishop (the significance of whom I do not know):

[Image: IMG_5121.jpg?dl=0]

[Image: IMG_5124.jpg?dl=0]

[Image: IMG_5128.jpg?dl=0]

[Image: IMG_5129.jpg?dl=0]

[Image: IMG_5130.jpg?dl=0]

[Image: IMG_5132.jpg?dl=0]

[Image: IMG_5136.jpg?dl=0]
[-] The following 4 users Like Bonaventure's post:
  • MyLady, SeeTheLight, Some Guy, VoxClamantis
I especially like the small flower offerings in the side chapels.
Fascinating history and so much glorious art.  Thank you!
The next time I go to the Cathedral, I'm going to see if I can get more information on the paintings.
I have never been there, but Chile is an intriguing country to me.  Do you have other pictures, of Chilean life in general, that you don't mind sharing?  Do you think it would be hard for an American to adjust to living their permanently?  Have you traveled extensively outside of Santiago?
I have a TON of photos I've taken in Chile; unfortunately, most have my name attached to them in the copyright identifier.

As for Chile itself, I am a bit biased as my wife is from there.   :P

I have travelled to many places throughout Chile, including: Some of the places I've visited were absolutely beautiful and pristine, offering some of the best views I've ever seen.  

We've also visited over a dozen wineries throughout the Casablanca, Maipo and Colchagua Valleys.  From time to time, my wife and I even host tours of wineries.

I don't think it would be at all hard for an American to live in Chile.  I've seriously considered doing it myself, especially at times during the winters here in the upper midwest. Still might, some day.  But you'll need to speak at least some Spanish (or rather, Chileno) as there are not a lot of English speakers down there.  The economy is vibrant, crime (at least violent crime) is low, and everyone is quite friendly.

I'll leave you with a fews photos....

Here is one I took near Villarica on my first trip down to Chile back in '06.

[Image: Villarica.jpg?dl=0]

Here is one of Volcán Villirica, an active volcano near Pucón.

[Image: Cottages.jpg?dl=0]

And I took this one atop the volcano shown above...

[Image: Vulcon.jpg?dl=0]

Here is one taken from the Cementerio General in Santiago...

[Image: Cemeterio.jpg?dl=0]

Some scenes from Santiago's Mercado Central...

[Image: Market.jpg?dl=0]

[Image: Fish.jpg?dl=0]

Vista de la imagen de la Inmaculada Concepción del Cerro San Cristóbal, Santiago....

[Image: Virgen.jpg?dl=0]

A view from San Jose de Maipo, about an hour out of Santiago...

[Image: SanJose.jpg?dl=0]

A view from Cajón de Maipo (after about a four-hour hike):

[Image: Maipo.jpg?dl=0]

And finally, from the island of Castro...

[Image: Chiloe.jpg?dl=0]
  • Melkite