Did I allow sacrilege to happen?
I just discovered that my hedonistic, fornicating, atheist, former Catholic brother-in-law deliberately received holy communion at our wedding mass a few months ago. My husband and I had our backs turned and were facing the altar at the time, so we didn’t notice him receiving it. I put a paragraph in our wedding program that was distributed to everyone that requested non-Catholics and Catholics not in a state of grace refrain from receiving holy Communion, but apparently he purposely and maliciously ignored that. 

I feel horrible that this sacrilege happened under our watch, and I don’t know what to do. Should we have told Father before Mass to expressly deny Communion to BIL? Should we have asked Father to make an announcement for all the non-Catholics before Communion? I thought the paragraph in our Mass program was sufficient. My husband says BIL still probably would have received anyway even if Father had made an announcement. 

Should I bring this up at my next confession and make some major acts of reparation? I feel like this is completely my fault.  BIL was raised and baptized Catholic and knew exactly what he was doing.
St. Joseph, Terror of Demons, Pillar of Families, Glory of Domestic Life, Pray for Us!

When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.
How would you have committed a sin by someone else doing something you tried to prevent?

I'm a teacher. Were I to warn my students not to use a calculator on the exam else they would forfeit credit, and one snuck one in and was later reported for it would I be responsible?

Do some reparation on his behalf, perhaps, but you bear no guilt here.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • AugustineMaria, MaryTN
I don’t have much to add, but what else could you have done?
I find the fact you had that in the bulletin alone rather impressive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FultonFan's post:
  • MaryTN
(08-21-2019, 11:45 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: BIL was raised and baptized Catholic and knew exactly what he was doing.

It's on him, not you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • MaryTN