Invalid Wedding reception
Are there any circumstances where someone can attend the wedding reception of an invalid wedding or is it approval of something sinful?
I've heard the extreme of it being an approval of their state of sin, but I don't know definitively.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
Oh, I've heard that before: no going to the reception of some Catholic/former Catholic  that's being married outside the Church. 

I could be wrong, but what of the parable of the unjust steward? He was smart. Jesus wants us to be smart. Assuming it's a union that could potentially be valid, and not to compromise on doctrine, couldn't we rather use our resources to the best of our abilities in order to save souls? 

We don't want to compromise, but some people need to be led into the Faith in a certain way. Let me explain. When I was a girl I learned something about horses and that's this: don't look them straight in the eye while pulling the reins and requiring them to go in a certain direction, Because if you do they'll freeze and their legs will lock and they won't go anywhere. Rather, turn in the direction they're facing and walk with them.If you walk with them, they'll go where you guide them. 

What if you were to tell the person--ver betum--you don't approve, but you're coming to the reception in hope of the couple having the best of a life together and eventually having their marriage blest in the church? And you're there to help, pray and encourage them in that direction? Then spend the next week fasting and doing penance for them? I don't know would that be wrong?
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Zedta
I don’t know the answer.
But I think it’s safe to say that an enormous number of marrying Catholics don’t even realize that canonical form is even a thing.
The Catechesis over the last few decades has been pretty weak, it seems.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FultonFan's post:
  • Zedta
(08-23-2019, 09:30 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: I could be wrong, but what of the parable of the unjust steward? He was smart. Jesus wants us to be smart. Assuming it's a union that could potentially be valid, and not to compromise on doctrine, couldn't we rather use our resources to the best of our abilities in order to save souls?

We're to be smart, but we're not permitted to sin even to bring about good. Going to the reception is scandal - people will think that you approve of this invalid union, and, if they know you're a good Catholic, will also get the impression that their disobedience to the Church is okay, and when the Church makes rules for something, they don't really matter.

I suppose you could avoid that by telling everyone there that the couple isn't really married and you're just there in hopes they'll fix it, but if you do that, good luck on the couple ever listening to you again.
From a theoretical point of view would it make a difference if nobody knew you were a catholic in good standing.
In the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph.
If one is seen to approve of or encourage something sinful and there is not some serious reason for this he commits the sin of scandal.

To seem to approve of an invalid wedding that is widely-known to be invalid (e.g. the remarriage of a civilly-divorced person or a known Catholic who has left the practice of the Faith and is marrying outside of the Church), then he must not attend.

The question of the reception as opposed to the wedding itself, is a Pharisaical query. The reception is no different than the religious ceremony. The reception just celebrates it. If you can't go to the "wedding" then why could one go to the reception which celebrates the wedding? "I can't go watch you enter into an illicit union, but I can go and celebrate it"?

That said, we are not obliged to run our own marriage tribunal to determine these things.

If a person is known to be entering into an adulterous union, or to have left the Faith to marry outside of the Church, we cannot attend. If it is not clear, we are not obliged to clarify this doubt. For instance, if someone were likely baptized Catholic, but never raised Catholic and never practiced the Faith, it's a bit silly to object to their non-Church wedding. Yes, it is invalid, but they will never appreciate that and you will likely harden them in sin and apostasy and make the Church (and self) look like ogres.