What's Your Favorite Prayer Book?
Over the years, I've given away all of my prayer books. I did okay without them for quite some time but now I'd like to have one again. What's your favorite, and why? I'd prefer something in hardcover (or leather) rather than paperback, for durability.
Imitation of Christ by far. Though admittedly I haven't read many prayer books.
Ave Christus Rex!
Old Orthodox Prayerbook.

I've owned and used the Holy Transfiguration Monastery Prayerbook and both versions (old and new) of the Jordanville Prayerbook but have found the Old Orthodox Prayerbook to be my favorite.  

Why?

Morning and Evening Prayers around the same length
Calendar and Paschalion in the back, plus 1st through 9th Hour and Divine Liturgy,Canons and Akathists(To Theotokos,for the Sick,for the Dead,to Christ) and its both dual English and Slavonic. 

For Western Prayerbooks I like the Monastic Breviary, most especially the Lancelot Andrewes Matins and the Farnborough Diurnal (although the latter leaves much to be desired with its '63 truncated calendar.)
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
My favorites are Blessed Be God, and The Blessed Sacrament Prayerbook, by Father Lasance. Aside from on prayer I've only seen in Blessed Be God, I'd just carry the latter one.
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dahveed's post:
  • Talmek
Another vote for Blessed Be God - while I've yet to be able to find a new copy that's less than $30.00 I've found the investment easily worth it. It's helped me reestablish a prayer routine throughout the day and keep my focus on my faith through some really trying times.
The Monastic Diurnal, Imitation of the Sacred Heart by Fr. Peter J Arnoudt, Holy Hour of Reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and Augustine Day by Day.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
(08-24-2019, 08:19 PM)dahveed Wrote: My favorites are Blessed Be God, and The Blessed Sacrament Prayerbook, by Father Lasance. Aside from on prayer I've only seen in Blessed Be God, I'd just carry the latter one.

Thanks for the recommendation! I've just ordered The Blessed Sacrament Prayerbook. I like to focus particularly on the Blessed Sacrament, so finding a prayerbook specially devoted to it is great!
The Roman Missal by Fr. Lasance has many prayers for different occasions and feast days. It’s quite heavy so when I travel I carry “My Prayer Book” also by Lasance. “My Prayer Book” contains many of the prayers in the Roman Missal, but it is so much lighter.