Question about holy water
Hello, all --

Have read this forum off and on for years, but I don't think I've posted before today.  Not sure if anyone has any help for me, but I had a question I thought I'd throw out here.

My husband and I have a business that makes figures.  They often have a hollow space that needs to be patched before they can be sold.

I've wondered several times if it would be weird, or superstitious, or somehow wrong to put a small religious object or some holy water in the space before patching it.  I'd tell anyone who bought or was given the figure that we'd done this, of course, I'm not trying to make some magic charm or something silly like that.

Can anyone direct me to someplace that might clue me in whether this is somehow not permitted or a bad idea? 

Thanks if you can.
I'm still unsure what it is exactly that you make, but provided you made it clear there was a small crucifix or whatever else inside and was not done in secret, then I think it would be okay but not recommended. Generally speaking though I don't really see the point. If I wanted a small crucifix I would buy one and if I wanted it hidden in whatever it is that your selling, I would just do it myself, and if I can't just do it myself, then what's the point of putting something in there that I can't see or do anything with anyway?

I don't know of any place I can direct you for this, but my guess would be that they will not recommend it.

Welcome to the forums and God Bless You :)
(08-27-2019, 12:36 AM)josh987654321 Wrote: I'm still unsure what it is exactly that you make, but provided you made it clear there was a small crucifix or whatever else inside and was not done in secret, then I think it would be okay but not recommended. Generally speaking though I don't really see the point. If I wanted a small crucifix I would buy one and if I wanted it hidden in whatever it is that your selling, I would just do it myself, and if I can't just do it myself, then what's the point of putting something in there that I can't see or do anything with anyway?

I don't know of any place I can direct you for this, but my guess would be that they will not recommend it.

Welcome to the forums and God Bless You :)

Thanks very much.

It's more just kind of opportunistic, I guess.  Every time I see the hollow space in the figure (picture, for example, a small Marian statue, if it had a hollow space in the base that needed to be filled before it was painted) it just brings out the kid in me who loves hidden compartments, etc.

I think of it like relics in altars or a scapular under the shirt, these little hidden sacramentals.  But, of course, the relics and scapular are not buried in material, they are accessible.  I guess maybe that's what made me doubt if it was appropriate, like it seemed too close to something superstitious.

I think I'll let the idea go.  Very much appreciate your thoughts, and your welcome!  You all do good work here.
Remember what Sacramentals are : they are objects which are meant to help bring grace according to the devotion of the one using them. They are not talismen or good luck charms.

Even the Green Scapular which is often used by being hidden among the things of a person who we might like to convert does nothing directly for that person, but helps the devotion of and Faith the person who puts it there to pray for that persons conversion.

I do not think hiding holy water or other things in a figure is a good idea because it will cheapen what the Sacramental is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Markie Boy
(08-27-2019, 04:16 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Remember what Sacramentals are : they are objects which are meant to help bring grace according to the devotion of the one using them. They are not talismen or good luck charms.

Even the Green Scapular which is often used by being hidden among the things of a person who we might like to convert does nothing directly for that person, but helps the devotion of and Faith the person who puts it there to pray for that persons conversion.

I do not think hiding holy water or other things in a figure is a good idea because it will cheapen what the Sacramental is.

Thank you!

I think the idea would be that the person with the statue would know it was there and it would lead the mind when the statue was observed.  

But you'll see I've used several "I'm not trying to make it some kind of magic trick" sort of disclaimers, and that's what it made you think of also, so I think it's clear I should just let this idea go.  Too easy to go the wrong way.

Appreciate very much your thoughts.
(08-27-2019, 04:16 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Remember what Sacramentals are : they are objects which are meant to help bring grace according to the devotion of the one using them. They are not talismen or good luck charms.

The most awesome answer I have ever seen on Sacramentals - thank you!  I know far too many Catholics treat them like good luck charms or magic items.