Orthodox friend agrees to attend Greek Catholic Divine Liturgy!
[color=#878a8c][size=medium][font=IBMPlexSans, Arial, sans-serif][color=#1a1a1b][size=small][size=small]Brothers and sisters in Christ, I have amazing news! One of my Eastern Orthodox friends has been showing interest in Catholicism for a while and after a short talk, he has agreed to come with me to a Greek Catholic Divine Liturgy. Please pray that everything goes well and the Holy Spirit will bless him with a desire to return to Rome. Also, how should I approach him about praying the Rosary frequently? God bless ? So happy for h https://solitaire.onl/ https://9apps.ooo/ https://bluestacks.vip/
[-] The following 2 users Like charm16's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux, Some Guy
(08-31-2019, 04:34 PM)charm16 Wrote: Brothers and sisters in Christ, I have amazing news! One of my Eastern Orthodox friends has been showing interest in Catholicism for a while and after a short talk, he has agreed to come with me to a Greek Catholic Divine Liturgy. Please pray that everything goes well and the Holy Spirit will bless him with a desire to return to Rome. Also, how should I approach him about praying the Rosary frequently? God bless ? So happy for him.The Rosary is a Latin custom; Easterners have their own version known as a prayer rope. Be careful to avoid pushing Latin customs on prospective converts from Orthodoxy, as a lot of Orthodox believe the Latin Church wants to Latinize the East.

[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/cxx9p4/orthodox_friend_agrees_to_attend_greek_catholic/][/url]

I'm confused by why you want to approach him about the rosary.  It sounds as if you already understand that the Rosary is a Latin devotion that isn't practiced frequently in the East, and that other devotions take that place.  If he is Orthodox, he won't make any change in the way he prays with a prayer rope, if he decides to continue with that - Eastern Catholics pray the exact same Jesus Prayer as the Orthodox.  My recommendation: if he is interested in learning about the rosary and adopting it for his prayer life, be open to helping him learn about it.  But why bring it up if he doesn't show any interest in it and you know that a lot of Easterners are put off by it?
If you're taking your friend to a Ukrainian Catholic Church, rosaries are quite common and the devotion has pretty much been adopted for quite some time now. Just remember, at one time the Latin Church didn't have the rosary, or Sacred Heart, or Fatima devotions etc either. Often times what you hear in cyberspace about the Eastern Catholic Churches is totally inaccurate and just reflects how an individual idealizes how they think the church should be. I have said the rosary with Byzantine Rite priests in Eastern Catholic Churches on many occasions, and I know it is also common place in the Maronite Church as well.
(09-01-2019, 08:55 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 04:34 PM)charm16 Wrote: Brothers and sisters in Christ, I have amazing news! One of my Eastern Orthodox friends has been showing interest in Catholicism for a while and after a short talk, he has agreed to come with me to a Greek Catholic Divine Liturgy. Please pray that everything goes well and the Holy Spirit will bless him with a desire to return to Rome. Also, how should I approach him about praying the Rosary frequently? God bless ? So happy for him.The Rosary is a Latin custom; Easterners have their own version known as a prayer rope. Be careful to avoid pushing Latin customs on prospective converts from Orthodoxy, as a lot of Orthodox believe the Latin Church wants to Latinize the East.

[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/cxx9p4/orthodox_friend_agrees_to_attend_greek_catholic/][/url]

I'm confused by why you want to approach him about the rosary.  It sounds as if you already understand that the Rosary is a Latin devotion that isn't practiced frequently in the East, and that other devotions take that place.  If he is Orthodox, he won't make any change in the way he prays with a prayer rope, if he decides to continue with that - Eastern Catholics pray the exact same Jesus Prayer as the Orthodox.  My recommendation: if he is interested in learning about the rosary and adopting it for his prayer life, be open to helping him learn about it.  But why bring it up if he doesn't show any interest in it and you know that a lot of Easterners are put off by it?

I agree he shouldn't be pushy, but introducing it to him in a reasonable manner is no different than when Fr. Chavarria, an SSPX priest, advised me to say the Jesus Prayer in times of need. I actually plan to get an Eastern prayer rope and add it to to my practices as a result.

In addition, when I was employed at my local Latin parish, I noticed that the priest kept an icon of Theotokos above the kitchen sink.

That said, I will reiterate: don't come across as a Latinizer.  But I think all Catholic devotions should be shared and embraced as Catholic. If a Latin uses a Chotki at 5 times the rate of a Rosary its fine in my book. 

On the other hand, if charm's friend attends a Pauline Mass that has bongo drums and tries telling his Eastern priest that they should start using said drums in a Divine Liturgy, that might be problematic...
[-] The following 2 users Like redneckpride4ever's post:
  • Eric F, jovan66102