Biblical evidence for the Assumption, Coronation, and Immaculate Conception of Mary?
FultonFan Wrote:You both should try to stop “figuring things out” on your own, and instead consult the Church

whitewashed_tomb Wrote:First off, no offense, but are you even Catholic?

No offence taken. I was asking that myself not long ago. And so I did as FultonFan suggested and spoke to my parish priest about it. 
He said I'm still a Catholic, praying Hail Mary's isn't necessary.
So if your like me and want some clear bible foundation u won't find it. I'm not trying to change your mind, that's the process I went through.
If bible evidence isn't important to you and your comfortable with sacred scriptures written by the church then you have no issue.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Porkncheese's post:
  • whitewashed_tomb
(09-02-2019, 11:13 AM)Porkncheese Wrote: .

God Bless :)
VoxClamantis Wrote:And keep in mind that this is a Catholic website; it's not a place for Protestants to push heresy.

Did u read what the op asked?

whitewashed_tomb Wrote:but are there any specific passages in the Bible that can "prove" these mysteries and the veneration of Mary, in general?

I addressed his question and gave my opinion. One doesn't have to pray to Mary to be a Catholic so judge me as u wish as that same measure will be used to judge you.
(09-02-2019, 11:30 AM)Porkncheese Wrote:
VoxClamantis Wrote:And keep in mind that this is a Catholic website; it's not a place for Protestants to push heresy.

Did u read what the op asked?

He asked for Scriptural "proof" to support the veneration of Mary. Your answer didn't provide that or tackle the sola scriptura premise of his question, but instead offered Protestant-style thoughts on the matter.

Quote:
whitewashed_tomb Wrote:but are there any specific passages in the Bible that can "prove" these mysteries and the veneration of Mary, in general?

I addressed his question and gave my opinion. One doesn't have to pray to Mary to be a Catholic so judge me as u wish as that same measure will be used to judge you.

One doesn't "have" to pray to Mary to be Catholic, but one must accept the Marian dogmas and the Communion of Saints, and reject sola scriptura. 

BTW, one doesn't have to have birthday cake, have anything to do with presents, sing "Happy Birthday," or blow out candles to grow a year older, if you get my point. And it's one thing to not do those things, and another to claim they have nothing to do with birthdays, that there's no good reason for them, that they're nonsensical, etc., or to think that those traditions being described in Wikipedia is the only reason to practice them.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
Quote:Even though I pray the rosary everyday and have consecrated myself to Christ through Mary through the Militia of the Immaculata, I will admit that I struggle with constant doubts about Mary's holy status and venerating her. I especially struggle with the above mentioned mysteries. I know that we as Catholics have the whole body of sacred Tradition, in addition to sacred Scripture, to rely on, but are there any specific passages in the Bible that can "prove" these mysteries and the veneration of Mary, in general?

I am not a theologian by any stretch of the word, but I used to be a Protestant, so I kind of get where they are coming from. 

I would say it would pay to study the links that Vox gave you. In terms of apologetics, they should be good places to start.

In response to your question, the first thing that I will say is this: you are wise to remember that the Catholic Church has Sacred Tradition. Many of the "where is this in the Bible" questions really start out from false premises, principally, that something must be in the Bible to be dogmatic. 

This is the error of the Protestants, and if you want any proof of the success of the heresy of Sola Scriptura just look at the endless contradictions and divisions that exist amongst Protestants. They really can't agree on anything because there is no authority outside of themselves to which they appeal. You will hear in response to this that they appeal to God's Word. But this isn't really the case. They appeal to their private, personal interpretation of the Bible. 

All that by way of preparation, there is plenty of Sacred Scripture which supports Catholic Mariology. When they Archangel St. Gabriel declare God's will to be made flesh of her flesh, he greeted her thus: "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee." and later, after her consent to the Angel's message and the Incarnation of Christ, St. Elizabeth, mother of St. John the Baptist, would exclaim "Whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me."

The key phrase is "mother of my Lord." All of Mariology has its foundation in this great Truth. Mary is the Mother of God. She is the mother of the Second Person of the Trinity, the Logos, the Uncreated God; not in his divine nature, which is eternal, but in His human nature which He took from her and only her. He desired that. He willed to do that. He created her for that.

Every other great grace and privileged which she possess is a direct consequence of this truth. Her Virginity is preserved because of the great honor bestowed on to be Theotokos, God-bearer. Her Virginity is also the material sign of her sinlessness and Immaculate Conception. The Assumption follows the same vein. As Mother of God, preserved from sin, it is not good for her body to remain in the tomb to rot. The body of the Virgin Mary which gave God Incarnate his human flesh is lifted up to heaven in imitation of her Son.
It wasn't my intention to start a whole flame war over the veneration of Mary or sola scriptura or anything like that. I just wanted to know if those three things I mentioned have any Biblical basis or not. If they don't, then they don't.
Omnia et in omnibus Christus
Let’s reflect for a moment on the idea of “the bare minimum”.
You don’t have to partake of every prayer or spiritual exercise if your goal is simply to scrape by and get into Purgatory. If your goal is Purgatory, offering God the “bare minimum” might suffice. Or, it could reflect your vain presumption that you can live a basically Godless life and be rewarded with Heaven.

Let’s think about how we can imitate Christ.
Let’s look specifically at His Passion.
Our Lord could have offered The Father almost anything to redeem mankind (e.g. a single drop of blood, a single hunger pang, a single physical injury, etc.) 
However, Christ had PERFECT love for the Father, and knew just how terribly insulted the Father is by our sins.
Therefore, He completely exhausted and emptied Himself, because He loved the Father perfectly.
ALSO, Christ’s Passion, and institution of the Mass and all the Sacraments was an act of charity towards man that goes far beyond our finite understanding. Through the Sacraments, the gift of Sanctifying Grace was granted to humanity through the Church.
Also, the Passion provides us with a perfect example of complete surrender to the Will of God.
Our lives should be dedicated to loving God perfectly, and our neighbour as ourself for the love of God. In our own, finite way, we should constantly be making sacrifices for others, and offering them to God in reparation.

Also, completely purge your life of pride.
A humble and contrite heart is pleasing to God.

Imagining you somehow know better than the treasury of wisdom in the Church is just completely false. Instead, learn from the Saints, and surrender your will entirely to God’s Will, to be disposed of according as He Wills.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FultonFan's post:
  • antiquarian
(09-02-2019, 01:43 PM)whitewashed_tomb Wrote: It wasn't my intention to start a whole flame war over the veneration of Mary or sola scriptura or anything like that. I just wanted to know if those three things I mentioned have any Biblical basis or not. If they don't, then they don't.

Discussion take their natural course. You may not have intended that, but that is how it went. 

Just of the top of my head, "Who is she who comes forth as the morning rising as fair as the moon as bright as the sun and as terrible as a battle set in array?" from the Song of Solomon 6:9, and "I saw a great sign appear in Heaven. A woman crowned with twelve stars and the moon under her feet." Apoc. 12:1. These could and have been applied to the Blessed Virgin.

Also, Genesis 3:15, the foretelling of the "woman". Eve is also a type of Mary. Eve was a virgin, the "mother of all the living." St. Irenaeus compares the two Virgins of Scripture. Disobedient Eve and Obedient Mary.

The Book of Ecclesiasticus, Proverbs and Wisdom is replete with types of the Virgin Mary. So is Judith.

In short, yes. There is plenty of Scriptural support for the Virgin Mary.
Here are a few verses to start, all from the Song of Songs. Sorry, I didn’t get verse numbers.

As the lily among thorns, so is my love among the daughters.

Thou art all fair, O my love, and there is not a spot in thee.

Come from Libanus, my spouse, come from Libanus, come: thou shalt be crowned from the top of Amana, from the top of Sanir and Hermon, from the dens of the lions, from the mountains of the leopards.

My sister, my spouse, is a garden enclosed, a garden enclosed, a fountain sealed up. 
There are plenty of verses that support these dogmas but it's not like you're going to find everything plainly spelled out in the Bible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Florus's post:
  • Alphonse il Segundo