Names in confession
(09-09-2019, 11:30 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: It's bad enough in a small Parish like mine where Father recognises our voices in the box, but if a Priest asked my name, I would excuse myself and find another Confessor ASAP.

Same, and even though they can recognize our voice in a small parish, they still can't be sure. When there is nothing in between, it feels more like a counseling session with the priest rather then bearing all before God.

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

God Bless
Father is out of line.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(09-10-2019, 10:12 AM)josh987654321 Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 11:30 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: It's bad enough in a small Parish like mine where Father recognises our voices in the box, but if a Priest asked my name, I would excuse myself and find another Confessor ASAP.

Same, and even though they can recognize our voice in a small parish, they still can't be sure. When there is nothing in between, it feels more like a counseling session with the priest rather then bearing all before God.

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

God Bless

When one sits in the confessional before a Priest one is there to confession to our Lord through the Priest. If you told me you feared a Priest would break his seal of confession, I would say RUN. Other than that, the only reason you fear a Priest knowing your name would be because of Pride. What are you hiding...from Our Lord...is the better question? With all that said, I don't believe the Priest should have asked for the confessors name.
(09-10-2019, 01:02 PM)SeekSalvation Wrote: When one sits in the confessional before a Priest one is there to confession to our Lord through the Priest. If you told me you feared a Priest would break his seal of confession, I would say RUN. Other than that, the only reason you fear a Priest knowing your name would be because of Pride. What are you hiding...from Our Lord...is the better question? With all that said, I don't believe the Priest should have asked for the confessors name.

As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY reason a Priest needs to know my name in the Confessional is to break the Seal if he so chooses.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(09-10-2019, 01:02 PM)SeekSalvation Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 10:12 AM)josh987654321 Wrote:

God Bless

When one sits in the confessional before a Priest one is there to confession to our Lord through the Priest. If you told me you feared a Priest would break his seal of confession, I would say RUN. Other than that, the only reason you fear a Priest knowing your name would be because of Pride. What are you hiding...from Our Lord...is the better question? With all that said, I don't believe the Priest should have asked for the confessors name.

Given that said priest is already violation every Confessors' Manual and the advice of St Alphonsus and countless other theologians not to ask superfluous questions, there's already quite-reasonable suspicion that he doesn't think confession is what it really is and could be violated.

The Church has had, and for a long time, procedures to deal with priests who solicit people to sin in the confessional. It's an automatic excommunication. It's not a new thing at all, unfortunately. Father is an alter Christus, but he's also a man and this use as an instrument of Christ does not magically prevent him from sinning. This is one reason theologians and the Church are very particular about confession and "just the facts ma'am."

This is why he is universally advised never to seek to know who is confessing to him, or any superfluous detail. He is advised to shut down people mentioning others' names in confession, or even telling a narrative about what happened. He needs to know time since last confession, the specific name and frequency of any mortal sins committed since then, that the penitent is sorry and is going to take practical efforts to avoid sin. That's all.

Unless you have asked Father to give you spiritual direction and he has decided to do this during confession, then there is no need for him to know any more, and it is dangerous for him to know more. That long-standing advice of the Church and Saints is there not just to protect the penitent (by preventing the confessional from becoming any more of a burden than it needs to be), but also to protect the priest.

For instance, in Australia and now in other places, too, a priest is obliged under law to reveal secrets of the confessional in certain cases. He must refuse, obviously, and risk jail time and civil liability, but it's much easier to refuse if he has no knowledge of who is confessing to him. He is also much more likely to forget who confessed what to him and thus make it easier to preserve the seal and also not to indirectly violate it by treating that person any differently.

In violating the Church's wisdom and that of the theologians, and making the experience "personal" he risks making it too personal, and so many other problems which by some basic procedures and professional distance (as is required of any other professional), protects everyone much more.
[-] The following 3 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102, MiserereMeiDeus, MyLady
Where I am you can choose face to face or hidden. As the priest that formed me knows me well I do the face to face as I am new to this and he understands my personal struggles.

However, once I get used to all the formalities or a new priest comes in, who knows what I will choose.
In the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph.