Anthony Hopkins playing Pope Benedict XVI.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Benedict XVI is nothing like his portrayal.

Given some insights surrounding Francis, I don't think his portrayal is accurate either (although the actor bears a stunning resemblance).
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2

Malachi Martin was right.
(09-11-2019, 10:11 PM)Augustinian Wrote: Yeah, I'm pretty sure Benedict XVI is nothing like his portrayal.

Given some insights surrounding Francis, I don't think his portrayal is accurate either (although the actor bears a stunning resemblance).

I agree.

Very strange looking film.

I have to wonder how the writers and Hopkins came up with this bizarre portrayal.

The opening bit at the piano is especially odd.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FultonFan's post:
  • Augustinian
I'm not sure how they're worth a movie unless the filmmakers took some serious liberties.
"If your heart comes to feel a natural hatred for sin, it has defeated the causes of sin and freed itself from them. Keep hell’s torments in mind; but know that your Helper is at hand. Do nothing that will grieve Him, but say to Him with tears: ‘Be merciful and deliver me, O Lord, for without Thy help I cannot escape from the hands of my enemies.’ Be attentive to your heart, and He will guard you from all evil."

- St. Isaias the Solitary

"Constant action overcomes cold; being still overcomes heat. Purity
and stillness give the correct law to all under heaven."

- Tao Te Ching 45
I don’t think I like the idea of Anthony Hopkins playing Benedict XVI. Anthony Hopkins seems more of a scary figure than anything to me. Benedict XVI didn’t exactly have a sweet, grandpa face, but I’ve heard from many people who have met him that he was gentle as a lamb.
[-] The following 3 users Like Credidi Propter's post:
  • andalusia, Dominicana, jovan66102
(09-11-2019, 11:15 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: I don’t think I like the idea of Anthony Hopkins playing Benedict XVI. Anthony Hopkins seems more of a scary figure than anything to me. Benedict XVI didn’t exactly have a sweet, grandpa face, but I’ve heard from many people who have met him that he was gentle as a lamb.

Perhaps they wanted to make him look scary, and Pope Francis look good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes andalusia's post:
  • josh987654321
Anthony Hopkins is incredibly versatile, he could play a gentle Pope Benedict if he wanted to. Doesn't seem like the filmmakers had that in mind, though. I won't be watching this.
Filioli mei, non diligamus verbo neque lingua, sed opere et veritate.

Vos omnes amatores pulcherrimae linguae ecclesiae nostrae, videte filum quo de rebus sanctis profanisque colloqui possumus.
Must see. If it wasn't done by or a traditional Catholic, --and I'm sure it wasn't-- they got a lot wrong.  Big Grin Still, I understand by way of TNT that the cinematography looks very good. Mel Gibson could've helped. Where are ya, Mel?
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • FultonFan
(09-14-2019, 01:12 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: Must see. If it wasn't done by or a traditional Catholic, --and I'm sure it wasn't-- they got a lot wrong.  Big Grin Still, I understand by way of TNT that the cinematography looks very good. Mel Gibson could've helped. Where are ya, Mel?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/lookaside/crawler/media/?media_id%3D2450486091645201&imgrefurl=https://www.facebook.com/melgibsonexclusive/photos/movie-poster-project-the-resurrection-release-date-spring-2020-theresurrection-t/2450486091645201/&docid=JpxdDzfc8r6_8M&tbnid=l_u-uiWdHy8S8M:&vet=1&w=960&h=557&source=sh/x/im
[-] The following 1 user Likes FultonFan's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux