Is Humility a Road Blocker in Job Hunting?
Is Humility a Road Blocker in Job Hunting?
Some people think humility is harmful when it comes to job hunting, what do you think??
There's a difference between humility and a lack of confidence, i.e. doubt. When you lack humility you are being arrogant. Arrogance and confidence are not the same. I think if your confident in your abilities and remain humble, people will respond in a positive manner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jack89's post:
  • josh987654321
(09-12-2019, 01:25 PM)jack89 Wrote: There's a difference between humility and a lack of confidence, i.e. doubt. When you lack humility you are being arrogant. Arrogance and confidence are not the same. I think if your confident in your abilities and remain humble, people will respond in a positive manner.
I agree if you are confident in your abilities then kudos to you. If you take it to the point that you think you are the best thing since sliced bread and start thinking you can do a job 10 times better than such and such persons then you are arrogant.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
True Humility (the virtue and not just being cowardly) is a necessary quality for a good employee.

One who is truly humble is going to know his limits (so avoid being impetuous and negligent) but also not ignore his God-given talents and will acknowledge these as talents he is commanded to use for God's glory and the common good.

That's an excellent quality in an employee, because he will use his talents well, without expecting an undue reward, but at the same time won't gloat or take any unnecessary risks or be so brazen as to cause serious harm.

C.S. Lewis put it well : "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less."

If that's the kind of humility you have in looking for a job, you're an excellent candidate.
[-] The following 4 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • andalusia, jack89, josh987654321, jovan66102
(09-12-2019, 10:21 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: True Humility (the virtue and not just being cowardly) is a necessary quality for a good employee.

This.

A couple years ago, I sat on a panel to select folks to promote within my company. Candidates were called in, we'd chat for a bit about work and how they'd handle certain situations, then they were sat in front of a computer and asked to find certain data required by upper management for 4 different problems. All of the candidates were confident in their abilities to use the system, and most completed all 4 problems, but with varying degrees of accuracy. One young lady got to the third problem, then said something to the effect of, "Sorry, but I need help with this. At this point I'd have to see my supervisor for guidance."

She got the promotion.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 2 users Like Jeeter's post:
  • Augustinian, josh987654321
(09-13-2019, 07:55 AM)Jeeter Wrote: She got the promotion.

It's sad when some employers don't see and the opposite happens. Thanks for sharing that. Smile

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

"For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

"Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds." (Diary, 379)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)
(09-13-2019, 08:06 AM)josh987654321 Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 07:55 AM)Jeeter Wrote: She got the promotion.

It's sad when some employers don't see and the opposite happens. Thanks for sharing that. Smile

God Bless You

She didn't work with me, but with some folks I know.  She turned out to be a stellar employee. Smile
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • josh987654321
(09-12-2019, 09:59 AM)andalusia Wrote: Is Humility a Road Blocker in Job Hunting?
Some people think humility is harmful when it comes to job hunting, what do you think??

Being Catholic and being humble are not the same things as being weak and having low self esteem.  I've been in that mindset in the past and I don't think it did me any favors spiritually or temporally.  "I have to be super nice to everyone, I have to be on my guard constantly to not say or do anything that might offend."  It didn't do me any favors living like that.  People have to know you are a serious person and they will take you seriously.  If they see someone with low confidence they will take advantage of you at the first chance, or simply write you off as not the right person for whatever job.
(09-13-2019, 07:55 AM)Jeeter Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 10:21 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: True Humility (the virtue and not just being cowardly) is a necessary quality for a good employee.

This.  

A couple years ago, I sat on a panel to select folks to promote within my company.  Candidates were called in, we'd chat for a bit about work and how they'd handle certain situations, then they were sat in front of a computer and asked to find certain data required by upper management for 4 different problems.  All of the candidates were confident in their abilities to use the system, and most completed all 4 problems, but with varying degrees of accuracy.  One young lady got to the third problem, then said something to the effect of, "Sorry, but I need help with this.  At this point I'd have to see my supervisor for guidance."

She got the promotion.

This is an answer I look for when I hold interviews. It shows knowledge of their own limitations and accountability.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty rare quality. Most of my staff range from overconfidence to the point that they make errors or lack confidence so they're in my office numerous times a night for simple things they should know.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

“Behold this Heart which has so loved men that It spared nothing, even going so far as to exhaust and consume Itself to prove to them Its love” - Our Lord to St. Margaret Mary

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/

Malachi Martin was right.
Humility makes you a far, far better employee.
I think it would make a job interview better as well.

As an employee, if you’re humble, and you make a mistake a mistake of some sort, it says a lot about you if you just say “I’m sorry, this is my error. I’m going to try harder next time”.

It’s also a perfect virtue for a student.
I think a lot of people fear education because they’re afraid of being humiliated, either because they’re afraid of bad marks, or they fear facing the fact that they don’t yet understand or know a thing.

If you’re a humble student, you can start a course by saying “OK, I know nothing (or whatever amount) about this topic. I’m going to need to spend a lot of time ensuring I truly understand this material.”

I recently heard a recording of Father John Hardon.
I believe he was talking to group of students.
He asked the group a question.
He said something like “If you know the answer and share it, that will be an act of charity, and if you don’t know (or are wrong, I believe he said) you’ll be making an act of humility”.