On This Day 336 Years Ago
An army under King John III Sobieski of Poland successfully broke the nearly 2 month siege of Vienna and inflicted a crushing defeat on Muslim forces.

[-] The following 4 users Like Eric F's post:
  • jack89, Paul, SeekerofChrist, Zedta
An interesting bit of history.  In addition, it looks like I have an awesome movie to watch.  I hadn't heard of the film that this clip is from but the whole movie is included in my Amazon Prime Video membership, so I'll be watching this later today.  Thanks!
[-] The following 2 users Like SeekerofChrist's post:
  • Eric F, Zedta
(09-12-2019, 01:09 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote: An interesting bit of history.  In addition, it looks like I have an awesome movie to watch.  I hadn't heard of the film that this clip is from but the whole movie is included in my Amazon Prime Video membership, so I'll be watching this later today.  Thanks!

Me too!!
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain
[-] The following 2 users Like Zedta's post:
  • Eric F, SeekerofChrist
                                                                      To paraphrase Winston Churchill, if the (Polish) Commonwealth were to have lasted a thousand years, men will say, this was their finest hour. The three thousand Winged Hussars thundered towards the frightened Turkish lines, the Polish juggernaut emitting the eerie sound of thousands of vibrating banners, pounding hoofs, and quivering wings of avenging angels. For many Turkish soldiers, this was the last sound they heard. Ottoman soldiers who recognized Sobieski, identified by the colorful streamers adorning the lances of his personal guard, exclaimed "By Allah, the King is with them," and ran for their lives.[/url][44] Those ignorant of the murderous power of the Hussars soon were fatally educated. Several thousand lances made a sickening crashing noise as they broke after piercing the chests of the Janissaries in their path.[45] The Polish buzz saw, unsheathing deadly sabers, cut through the reeling Turkish ranks, annihilating the first, second, and even third lines of defensive with alarming ease. Soon the rampaging Poles were united with the Habsburg and German soldiers who doggedly advanced their left flank and center positions, forming an overwhelming and suddenly organized force in the belly of the Turkish beast. Recognizing that the Christian troops would meet in the confusing cauldron of battle, Sobieski wisely advised his Polish soldiers to wear straw cockades so their allies could distinguish them from the Turks as the Poles over the years developed the Tatar habit of shaving their heads before battle.[url=http://josephpilsudski.com/control_panel/standard_pages/edit.php#_ftn46][46]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eric F's post:
  • Zedta