Real chance to get rid of OCP Missalettes??
(09-16-2019, 05:55 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 09:06 PM)piscis Wrote: As a rule, the music from the 1960s (and even late '50s) up through the present, but especially from the '60s-'90s, is shoddy music on almost every level of analysis. It is dated, clunky, and forced in its sentiments.

I’m not sure what hymns from the late 1950’s and early 1960’s would fit that description.

There are literally hundreds of examples, in English and the other Romance languages, of hymns and pseudo-liturgical music that were popular as early as the 1800s in Catholic Masses. Almost none of them survive in contemporary hymnals, so you wouldn't be aware of them, but all you have to do is page through any number of hymnals published in the 1930s-'50s (a sample list may be found in any of the famous musical blacklists from this period). One of the unexpected backlashes of St. Pius X's Tra le sollecitudini was that the high-quality music deemed unfit for the liturgy (Gounod, Rossini, Verdi, Schubert, etc.) was then replaced with low-quality musical replacements that had the same sentimental and secular character, and this music was the musical precursor to the music of the 1960s and afterwards. The other difficulty of the '60s and forward was the introduction of completely secular, folk-style music, and groups like the St. Louis Jesuits tried to strike a balance between the two.

Part of this was caused by good-willed associations, like the St. Gregory Society, which produced white lists and blacklists of liturgical music. The Church had never been so discriminating before in what music was allowed in the liturgy, and the blacklists interpreted magisterial texts and promoted a particular range of musical taste deemed suitable for the liturgy. The masses of Mozart, Haydn, Schubert, etc. were deemed unsuitable, yet in many places continued to thrive, such as in Austria and Bavaria.

Consider the following passage from 1964 (two years before Ray Repp's famous Mass for Young Americans, which musically ushered in the era of the hootenanny Mass), which describes the state of American Catholic music in the wake of Tra le S:

Quote:The Americans have succeeded, perhaps, better than any. Their church music, such of it as I have seen, is confidently hypocritical. It does not try to be modern, original, or even particularly musical. An American congregation usually supports its church financially, and it expects in return that the services should provide evidence of money invested. The choirmaster will therefore look for music which is easy, superficially impressive, respectable in its similarity to other church music, and in no way disturbing. An almost endless supply of such stuff is published with hardly any regard for merit. Compositions and arrangements of inconceivable banality and technical incompetence find their way into print (Fr. Francis Guentner, "Horizons," Musart 16 [Jan. 1964]).

When you actually flip through (Latin) choral Masses from this era, you see that Fr. Guentner was not exaggerating in the least. This music is so banal and schlocky that it almost makes the later 1960s folky music refreshing, at least from a musical standpoint. Liturgically, I'll always take the former than the latter, but it's almost just as painful to listen to, and it partly shows from the perspective of music history, why the musical revolution in the Church so easily happened. One of my undergrad music professors, now an elderly, retired Jesuit, told me in gleeful, nostalgic tones how he was present at the first solemn high Mass (yes, Latin) that introduced the use of an English, polyphonic Gloria at one of the largest Catholic music conventions in America. People were reading Pius XII very closely when he wrote in Mediator Dei n. 193:

Quote:It cannot be said that modern music and singing should be entirely excluded from Catholic worship. For, if they are not profane nor unbecoming to the sacredness of the place and function, ... then our churches must admit them since they can contribute in no small way to the splendor of the sacred ceremonies....

Yes, the liberals are legalists of the most stringent type, much like the devil. I always found that ironic. Anyway, hope that helps...

Also, for more on OCP, Jeffrey Tucker has a great essay here: https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/...ecnum=4265

Messages In This Thread
RE: Real chance to get rid of OCP Missalettes?? - by piscis - 09-16-2019, 12:12 PM