Legal Cannabis and Morality
(11-03-2020, 12:48 PM)BigSamoz Wrote: Is it a sin to experience joy and peace?

Outside of the order intended by God, yes.

That was the Original Sin : disobedience to the order created by God for one's own pleasure.

In fact, that's what sin always is : seeking joy and pleasure against the Natural Law or God's Positive Law, so disobedience to God.

Cannabis use is exactly that, and why it's a grave sin.
I wouldn't loose my time on this one MM, it seems to be one of those weird new members, most often bots, bringing old and polemical topics back to discussion just do disappear 15 minutes later.
Ite ad Ioseph
After reading this discussion, I have a lot of questions. First of all, I've never heard of such a thing as the "culture" of marijuana in my life. I am far from drugs, even those that are used for medical purposes. But after analyzing this question, I thought about it. Now development does not stand still, and everything is being improved. Maybe I have an old idea of the" culture " of marijuana. I came across one resource Health Canal. And I'm starting to believe him. According to this information, these receptors help maintain balance in the body, and perhaps this is why cannabidiol has such a therapeutic effect – it will not give you a “high”, but it can help relieve pain, reduce inflammation, calm anxiety and even reduce the frequency of seizures.
I completely agree with you. Coffee and alcohol can also be considered a kind of drug. It's all about how people perceive it and what properties they have. Basically it is the same thing. We get into the habit of drinking coffee and alcohol, because there are certain processes going on in our body, and we like it. This can also be called an addiction. I think that in the near future, marijuana will be as common as coffee. In addition, every day more and more states legalize marijuana. It seems to me that this is for the best, because it can be controlled now, in that way it helps the economy.

Marijuana appears to me, based on my incredibly limited historical perspective, to be taking a similar path as opium. As it's becoming increasingly common to use people are figuring out how to make it stronger and stronger and it's making it increasingly unsafe and problematic to even utilize in small doses for medicinal purposes without knocking people off their rocker.

Marijuana is not like and will never be like coffee.
Ave Christus Rex!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Some Guy's post:
  • MagisterMusicae
(11-20-2020, 11:07 AM)LeonardHamilton Wrote: I completely agree with you. Coffee and alcohol might as well be considered drugs. It's all about how people perceive it. I think in the near future, marijuana will be as common as coffee.

Whether coffee and alcohol are "drugs" depends on the definition. If they are, so would be vitamin supplements and most foods. If the definition is substances on which one can become dependent, then countless other things can be added, especially certain foods, sodas, even sex.

No biologist or pharmacist would define "drug" as something on which one could become dependent. They would usually define a drug as a chemical substance which is ingested for the purposes of treating or diagnosing a disease, and add that abuse of drugs is when these substances are taken for their psychotropic effects when there is no disease.

Looking at the chemical components of coffee and alcohol, we see caffeine and ethanol.

Firstly, caffeine and alcohol have no psychotropic effects in normal quantities normally consumed. Therefore, both can be used in moderation by most people without any deleterious effects.

Marajuana cannot. Even a small amount (e.g. a puff of a joint) of cannabis in the typical varieties available cause notable psychotropic effects. Rarely is consumption limited to a puff. One 2012 study suggested that the depressant effects on the nervous system of one joint of an average strain of cannabis was the equivalent intoxication of 75 grams of pure ethanol (about 8 oz of an 80 proof whisky or ~5 shots). That is not a moderate amount of alcohol, and that is only one typical joint, which is likely a low ball estimate of daily consumption for regular users.

Marajuana causes observable harmful effects even in small quantites, especially in those whose brains are still developing (i.e. those under 25). Even regular light use causes observable and irreversible and harmful changes in the brain. If some of its effects are helpful to treat a disease, then, like Ibuprofen, using something which has some health risks on one front, but because the benefit is greater. This is why no moral theologian objects to medical use of marajuana, especially if the proper compounds are isolated rather than mere license to smoke dope. It has no health benefits when there is no underlying disease. This is the key point as to why its use outside of medical situations by healthy people is sinful.

Alcohol is, in fact, a normal chemical produced in the body in the normal metabolic cycle. The vast majority of people can get health benefits from moderate alcohol use (1-2 drinks per day), especially from wine and beer which contain vitamins and micronutrients. In fact, moderate use of alcohol in the vast majority of people produces health effects that abuse of alcohol takes away. Alcohol has health benefits even for people who are health and where there is no underlying disease.

That said, if some is drinking for the "high" or to get tipsy or drunk, that is sinful. It is an abuse of alcohol. That does not mean one cannot enjoy a beer or whisky, but if the purpose if to deaden one's mind, already that's abuse and sinful.

Caffeine is more clearly a drug, because it is not naturally produced in the body, but again, use of coffee can be shown to have some health benefits in people without a disease, and it can be used in moderation.

Even if marajuana use becomes commonplace, it does not make it morally acceptable.

EDITED TO ADD : In a post in this thread much longer ago, I made a calculation error with the pure alcohol density, and so suggested that the study said a joint was 1.5 oz of pure alcohol. Instead of going back to edit, I present the corrected amount here.)
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Pandora, Some Guy
(11-20-2020, 11:23 AM)Some Guy Wrote: Marijuana appears to me, based on my incredibly limited historical perspective, to be taking a similar path as opium. As it's becoming increasingly common to use people are figuring out how to make it stronger and stronger and it's making it increasingly unsafe and problematic to even utilize in small doses for medicinal purposes without knocking people off their rocker.

Marijuana is not like and will never be like coffee.

Spot on.

At the time of Woodstock the average THC level was about 3% versus 0.6% for hemp.

Standard commercial varieties can exceed 25%, with the average in the 10-15% range. CBD levels have also been halved in that same time, making the THC "high" stronger.

So, on average one joint today is the equivalent of at least 4-5 joints from the Woodstock era, possibly upwards of 10-15 for the stronger varieties.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Pandora, Some Guy
Like anything that the Left pushes, the legalization of marijuana in the US has come about almost subliminally. I guess it's easy to persuade people if you push something a little bit at a time; you almost have to give them credit for their persistence and patience. First they put it in soaps and shampoos, added hemp seeds and such to foods, then came the medical marijuana and oils (which apparently can cure everything), and now just full-on recreational legalization of it. It's how they got gay marriage through ... introduce the idea through pop culture, through consumerism ... little by little, desensitizing the brain dead population to the point where they just accept a terrible vice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LionHippo's post:
  • Some Guy
OP: So I live in Michigan where cannabis, or marijuana whatever you want to call it, is completely legal for adult use. Weed stores and social clubs will be opening up in the next couple months....So what are your thoughts on these moral questions?

===
Maybe there're keeping the slaves calm? Or better yet, keeping them stupefied so the better to rob them? 
===
"The Portuguese and British slavers encouraged the use of marijuana among slaves to keep them calm and complacent."

https://www.cannabisground.com/marijuana-slaves/
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
[-] The following 2 users Like Blind Horus's post:
  • Pandora, Some Guy
The marijuana and coffee comparison is a weak position.
Marijuana scrambles your brain and judgment, and can even make you hallucinate.
It can make feelings of anxiety skyrocket, and can dramatically dull your cognitive abilities.
The propaganda surrounding weed is one of the most dangerous demonic deceptions of our times, right up there with the “no fraud” claims about the election.

This argument that a substance is “natural” and therefore “good” for use in whatever way you want to use it is ridiculous. If you were taking a walk in the woods, would you eat whatever mushrooms you saw growing out if the ground? Would you sit in a confined space and breathe in large quantities of natural gas? I hope the answer to both of those is no.

So, my point: you have to know what you’re actually dealing with before claiming something is “safe”. I don’t know how much coffee - or caffeine - you would need to consume for it to be considered sinful. If you somehow manage to drink that much coffee that you honestly enter into some sort of dissociative state, I would think that would at least be venial sin. I imagine that would be pretty hard to do, though. Maybe if you were lacing it with caffeine pills or something.. anyway I think I’m rambling here.

Don’t smoke weed, there’s the essence of my post here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FultonFan's post:
  • Pandora