Blessing of Animals?
Our priest said we could bring our animals to the church to be blessed soon on St. Francis' day.  Is this legit or historical?????
Yep, to both.  Make sure fluffy gets along with other animals first....
Blessing of animals is a traditional thing.

Doing this in conjunction with St Francis is a bit of a modern thing.

In itself nothing wrong with it, but watch out for weird stuff if your priest does other weird stuff.
[-] The following 3 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Ioannes_L, jovan66102, MaryTN
(09-18-2019, 04:44 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Blessing of animals is a traditional thing.

Doing this in conjunction with St Francis is a bit of a modern thing.

In itself nothing wrong with it, but watch out for weird stuff if your priest does other weird stuff.

I'm so used to weird stuff these people do, it's hard to tell the difference any more.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Markie Boy's post:
  • MaryTN
(09-18-2019, 10:32 AM)Markie Boy Wrote: Our priest said we could bring our animals to the church to be blessed soon on St. Francis' day.  Is this legit or historical?????

The pre-conciliar Rituale Romanum, Blessings of Animals.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Ioannes_L
Getting animals blessed here in the western Church is nothing unusual, although since Vatican II more strangeness has entered into it depending on the priest or the parish. The Fourteen Holy Helpers were invoked for protection against diseases or death of animals too (such as with cattle)-though I’m not entirely sure if they were always blessed.

I know in the Eastern Churches specific animals (such as horses with Sts Florus and Laurus) were/are associated with specific Saints and feast days-which would include blessing the said animals too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(09-18-2019, 08:07 PM)I Sequentia Wrote: Getting animals blessed here in the western Church is nothing unusual, although since Vatican II more strangeness has entered into it depending on the priest or the parish. The Fourteen Holy Helpers were invoked for protection against diseases or death of animals too (such as with cattle)-though I’m not entirely sure if they were always blessed.

I know in the Eastern Churches specific animals (such as horses with Sts Florus and Laurus) were/are associated with specific Saints and feast days-which would include blessing the said animals too.

I don’t know, it still just seems weird, and a little bit creepy-pagan. Definitely not for me.
You could always test the spirit behind this :

Bring in a deer you just shot on your latest hunt or some very nice meat you've recently received (or bring in Dolly whom your taking off to slaughter next week).

Those were/are animals, these things can certainly be blessed and they will certainly serve you well (and without complaint).

If the priest doesn't find this really funny and bless your meat for you, then he's a bit too serious about self.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
(09-18-2019, 09:02 PM)Markie Boy Wrote:
(09-18-2019, 08:07 PM)I Sequentia Wrote: Getting animals blessed here in the western Church is nothing unusual, although since Vatican II more strangeness has entered into it depending on the priest or the parish. The Fourteen Holy Helpers were invoked for protection against diseases or death of animals too (such as with cattle)-though I’m not entirely sure if they were always blessed.

I don’t know, it still just seems weird, and a little bit creepy-pagan. Definitely not for me.

It's Catholic. Animals were (and still are!) a big part of people's lives. If an animal was your livelihood would you not want God's blessing upon it?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Florus's post:
  • mpk1987