Advice - Family Member's Marriage
To sum up MM's post above, with the exception of 1983-2009, the rule throughout the Church's history has been 'once a Catholic, always a Catholic'.

A couple of cases where this was important are the (in)famous Mortara Case and the Spanish Inquisition. People have the mistaken idea that the Inquisition just willy-nilly persecuted Jews and Muslims. In fact, the Inquisition had absolutely no authority over Jews and Muslims. Its only authority was over baptised Christians. Hence, its only 'persecution of Jews and Muslims' occurred when a baptised convert returned to the practice of his original faith.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • IudicaMe
Although this wedding does not fit the proper Form and Matter requirements to give this couple the proper wedding sacrament, thus meaning a good Catholic can not attend the ceremony, you may attend the reception if invited.
(10-03-2019, 01:35 PM)SeekSalvation Wrote: Although this wedding does not fit the proper Form and Matter requirements to give this couple the proper wedding sacrament, thus meaning a good Catholic can not attend the ceremony, you may attend the reception if invited.

The matter is fine (two people of opposite sex, and free to marry). The form is not, and it's clear they despise the Church law requiring them to follow the form for Catholics, and do not consider it serious.

But the reception? How does this make any sense? 

The wedding is invalid, so a Catholic should not show support and scandalize people by witnessing the ceremony, but he can celebrate the fake marriage afterwards? He can't support the illicit vows, but can go feast and dance with people who are committing and committed to fornication? He can toast to their grave sins?
[-] The following 5 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, jovan66102, mpk1987, piscis, Stalwart
(03-12-2021, 09:19 AM)CarkQuinn Wrote: I think you're making it too complicated. If you want to share this day with your family, why not?

The rest of this ancient thread elucidates all of the reasons "why not".
(03-12-2021, 09:19 AM)CarkQuinn Wrote: I think you're making it too complicated. If you want to share this day with your family, why not?

Why did you specifically search for this thread, and then speak in the present tense, as if this wasn’t from approx a year and a half ago? Why did you make things so complicated for everyone? You’ve made things too complicated for the OP now, as you’re referring to something very far in the past as if it’s a current event. Why not deal with things that are actually current instead? You’re making things to complicated for yourself.

Edit: I apologize, the above seems rather rude. I assumed this was a troll response, which I really shouldn’t have. If not: my apologies to the poster who wrote this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FultonFan's post:
  • SacraCor714