Looking to trade relics
I have a relic of St. Maria Goretti that I am interested in trading for a pre schism saint relic. I reached out to Thomas Serafin of the Apostolate of Holy Relics and he responded with the following:
“They look fine but cannot be used for public veneration only private without document.”
This was his response after seeing pictures of the wax seal that is on the back of the reliquary.
Unfortunately, in the past "relics" were created in workshops to sell to the European tourist trade.  Many of these "relics" are not really relics, they are tourist souvenirs sold to the trusting tourists.  Separately, some European convents made relics. 
Without the paperwork, it is impossible to prove the truth of the relics.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaryTN's post:
  • jovan66102
Hah, sounds like you're talking about baseball cards! 

I've got a relic of St. Augustine, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(09-28-2019, 07:09 PM)MaryTN Wrote: Unfortunately, in the past "relics" were created in workshops to sell to the European tourist trade.  Many of these "relics" are not really relics, they are tourist souvenirs sold to the trusting tourists.  Separately, some European convents made relics. 
Without the paperwork, it is impossible to prove the truth of the relics.

Well, it's a bit more complicated. The vast majority of fakes are pretty easy to detect with some common sense and knowledge.

The document helps establish authenticity, but even there, there's always the chance that the paperwork is forged as well. There are good records of lots of certified forgeries, but they are reasonably easy to spot if you know what to look for. So even the certificate does not provide absolute assurance, but relatively good assurance.

Church Law requires assurance of authenticity for veneration (not necessarily the certificate). If, for instance, a priest had the certificate at some point, but lost it, he could still display the relic for veneration.