Walmart Mgt Sucks.
I had an awful work day yesterday largely to blame on the management. They sent me to the belt registers (the self-checkout ones--I don't know if you've been to one of these Walmart super-centers but most of them have these self-checkout registers with conveyor belts like the normal manned registers but only the customer is doing the checking out), and one of my CSMs (Customer Service Manager) leads an elderly lady down who has obviously never used one of these self-checkout registers before and needs help with it through it. It is a highly unethical practice that goes on but the Mgt. will practically coerce customers into using the self-checkouts. My CSM walks away because she needs to do something and tells me to help the lady. The lady told me that the CSM would go off to find someone (evidently, that someone was me) to help her out. There are six belt registers, one is down, and all the rest are in use. There are two customers that need age verification and unknown item verifications as well that are becoming angry that I'm helping this other customer because my manager had me helping her. They are complaining about whether this is a "scan-and-go" (what the self-checkouts at Walmart are called) or not and if there is another person at the belts and some even begin attacking the lady who was coerced to use the self-checkouts in the first place. I go to help them after finishing scanning the lady's products and then I return to find that she doesn't know how to do the transaction either. So I help her with that and she says to me that it isn't my fault but the girl who led her down the self-checkout register's fault and that going through the normal register and waiting in line would have been just as effective. I tell her to make certain to complete our online survey like I normally do for all customers but I feel I should have identified the CSM that her major complaint was against. I am going to report that situation because I feel that the practice is unethical to begin with and that the CSM dropped the ball.

Then they sent me on my lunch late. They are highly busy on Sundays and so it seems I get sent on my lunch late on Sundays most of the time. It isn't my fault but nevertheless, they cut a break that's supposed to be one hour into half-an-hour because I "went on it late". SMH if it's my fault. I don't care because I at least get paid an additional half-hour. They forget to send me on my second break too.

A couple of weeks ago, they tell me that I am supposed to use this sort of "app" that's on their scanner RFs. I don't know how to use it, it stops working, and naturally the CSMs are all busy and don't even bother how to explain how to use it. So I don't use it and I get in trouble for that. In fact, these past few work days I haven't been using it. Nobody told me where to get it from and these past few work days, nobody told me to use it so I've been figuring lately, "to Hell if I care...if they don't want to tell me where to get it from or how to use it, they don't care either."

And this horrendous mismanagement is so regular and so profound at Walmart that almost no one objects to the notion that when something goes wrong, it has to be Mgts fault. The customers know Mgt sucks, the employees know Mgt sucks, and the critics of Walmart who call for boycotts on it do it because of the Mgt. One of my co-workers and I will even mock the Mgt when she's at one of the registers near where I am or a nearby bullpen and we don't care if Mgt hears because they aren't even around.

It just really frustrated me yesterday that I finally decided to hit a wall (literally) before I left that night. It's irritating. I also scratched myself to see if Mgt would care about that...evidently not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes newenglandsun's post:
  • Augustinian
(09-30-2019, 02:42 PM)newenglandsun Wrote: I had an awful work day yesterday largely to blame on the management. They sent me to the belt registers (the self-checkout ones--I don't know if you've been to one of these Walmart super-centers but most of them have these self-checkout registers with conveyor belts like the normal manned registers but only the customer is doing the checking out), and one of my CSMs (Customer Service Manager) leads an elderly lady down who has obviously never used one of these self-checkout registers before and needs help with it through it. It is a highly unethical practice that goes on but the Mgt. will practically coerce customers into using the self-checkouts. My CSM walks away because she needs to do something and tells me to help the lady. The lady told me that the CSM would go off to find someone (evidently, that someone was me) to help her out. There are six belt registers, one is down, and all the rest are in use. There are two customers that need age verification and unknown item verifications as well that are becoming angry that I'm helping this other customer because my manager had me helping her. They are complaining about whether this is a "scan-and-go" (what the self-checkouts at Walmart are called) or not and if there is another person at the belts and some even begin attacking the lady who was coerced to use the self-checkouts in the first place. I go to help them after finishing scanning the lady's products and then I return to find that she doesn't know how to do the transaction either. So I help her with that and she says to me that it isn't my fault but the girl who led her down the self-checkout register's fault and that going through the normal register and waiting in line would have been just as effective. I tell her to make certain to complete our online survey like I normally do for all customers but I feel I should have identified the CSM that her major complaint was against. I am going to report that situation because I feel that the practice is unethical to begin with and that the CSM dropped the ball.

Then they sent me on my lunch late. They are highly busy on Sundays and so it seems I get sent on my lunch late on Sundays most of the time. It isn't my fault but nevertheless, they cut a break that's supposed to be one hour into half-an-hour because I "went on it late". SMH if it's my fault. I don't care because I at least get paid an additional half-hour. They forget to send me on my second break too.

A couple of weeks ago, they tell me that I am supposed to use this sort of "app" that's on their scanner RFs. I don't know how to use it, it stops working, and naturally the CSMs are all busy and don't even bother how to explain how to use it. So I don't use it and I get in trouble for that. In fact, these past few work days I haven't been using it. Nobody told me where to get it from and these past few work days, nobody told me to use it so I've been figuring lately, "to Hell if I care...if they don't want to tell me where to get it from or how to use it, they don't care either."

And this horrendous mismanagement is so regular and so profound at Walmart that almost no one objects to the notion that when something goes wrong, it has to be Mgts fault. The customers know Mgt sucks, the employees know Mgt sucks, and the critics of Walmart who call for boycotts on it do it because of the Mgt. One of my co-workers and I will even mock the Mgt when she's at one of the registers near where I am or a nearby bullpen and we don't care if Mgt hears because they aren't even around.

It just really frustrated me yesterday that I finally decided to hit a wall (literally) before I left that night. It's irritating. I also scratched myself to see if Mgt would care about that...evidently not.

Walmart stinks. Tell all your friends.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
I sympathise with you, newenglsndsun. My oldest son works at Walmart and until recently his younger sister worked at Target, which isn't any better.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(09-30-2019, 04:26 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I sympathise with you, newenglsndsun. My oldest son works at Walmart and until recently his younger sister worked at Target, which isn't any better.

I’m of the mindset that all these multinational corporations are capable of sucking a gorilla through a garden hose. Absolutely no concern for morality, family, or the average Joe.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
(09-30-2019, 04:18 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: Walmart stinks. Tell all your friends.

I spent years in retail. It's a truism in the industry that if a customer gets great customer service, he might tell one or two friends. If he gets lousy customer service (like any day at Walmart), he'll tell ten or more people. Spread the word! Walmart stinks!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
Management isn't much better anywhere else, really. I work in management in healthcare and your hands are pretty much tied by higher ups and HR while your staff blame you for pretty much every negative change imaginable. Right now we are implementing "cultural changes" in our organization which entails pandering to human respect, and if we aren't on board we can expect to lose our job. Yet at the same time we are expected to attend a four hour class every few weeks at a time when those of us on 2nd or 3rd shift have child care issues with no intention of accommodating for us (so much for respecting employees right?)

Corporate management sucks in all industries.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/
(09-30-2019, 10:31 PM)Augustinian Wrote: Management isn't much better anywhere else, really. I work in management in healthcare and your hands are pretty much tied by higher ups and HR while your staff blame you for pretty much every negative change imaginable. Right now we are implementing "cultural changes" in our organization which entails pandering to human respect, and if we aren't on board we can expect to lose our job. Yet at the same time we are expected to attend a four hour class every few weeks at a time when those of us on 2nd or 3rd shift have child care issues with no intention of accommodating for us (so much for respecting employees right?)

Corporate management sucks in all industries.

Tell me about it. Our DM at Michaels doesn't give us hours according to the truck size. In replenishment this is very important considering that the size of the truck is how to measure the necessary hours it will need to unload and then stock the merchandise in a given week. Our old replenishment manager who resigned a few months ago and our old store manager who resigned a week and a half ago were very angry at the DM for this. Our replenishment manager was also having to go overtime because our ops. manager is incompetent (nice guy but he doesn't have the qualifications for that position). The replen manager had to practically lead the store for an entire week when the store manager traveled for his grandmother's funeral. Shortly afterward, he resigned.

The DM is corrupt but somehow it's the underlings that get blamed for the failings and for overspending on hours. Nice, right?
[-] The following 1 user Likes newenglandsun's post:
  • Augustinian
Corporations have expectations, after all, they have stockholders to answer to.   The main office tells the store what to produce/sell.  The local store manager is doing what corporate tells him/her to do.  If the local store manager doesn't meet the corporate expectations, he/she will no longer be the store manager.
This is how things work.  No, it is not friendly to the local employee.  Yes, it often seems illogical to the person on the ground.
I preferred working for myself.  Still had headaches, but they were different headaches.
I can't stand setting foot in Walmart and I drive extra miles and pay more at other places just to avoid it. How people can spend 40 hours per week there is beyond me.
(10-11-2019, 06:54 PM)Bombero Wrote: I can't stand setting foot in Walmart and I drive extra miles and pay more at other places just to avoid it. How people can spend 40 hours per week there is beyond me.

Maybe they figure it's better than receiving welfare checks?  Big Grin
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton