Salvation through confusion?
The issue I have with the argument from ignorance is that God will still judge based upon the merits of each soul. Yes, many Catholics may be ignorant of their mortal sins, thereby making them potentially venial, but this doesn't mean the soul may not be damned. They simply won't be punished for those same sins as they would had they committed them willfully. This brings up a concern I've had with mortal vs venial sin: and that's the permissive attitude many Catholics take when it comes to sin. As if we are forgetting that every single sin, no matter how small, is still an infinite offense against God. Yes, a venial sin isn't willfully committed with the purpose of offending God, but it still is an offense against God and should be avoided as we would something more grave. This is just something I've noticed when I've read the lives of the saints, the sheer remorse they feel for even the 'smallest' sin which your average Catholic doesn't even come close to noticing.

I'm not trying to derail this thread, or push people to scruples, this is just something that came to mind in the moment.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • MagisterMusicae

Messages In This Thread
Salvation through confusion? - by LionHippo - 10-01-2019, 10:46 PM
RE: Salvation through confusion? - by Markie Boy - 10-02-2019, 06:23 AM
RE: Salvation through confusion? - by Paul - 10-02-2019, 08:35 AM
RE: Salvation through confusion? - by Paul - 10-03-2019, 02:27 PM
RE: Salvation through confusion? - by Paul - 10-03-2019, 07:44 PM
RE: Salvation through confusion? - by MaryTN - 10-02-2019, 02:21 PM
RE: Salvation through confusion? - by 1Faith - 10-02-2019, 04:57 PM
RE: Salvation through confusion? - by Augustinian - 10-03-2019, 08:32 PM