Thougths on Vigil Mass for Sunday Obligation?
I've gone to Vigil Mass, aka Anticipated Mass several times in lieu of Sunday Mass thinking that it was a perfectly good alternative to fulfill my Sunday obligation. 

I know that technically it is, but I recently read that it was not common practice prior to Vatican II, and also didn't notice any Saturday night TLMs in my area. 

What are your thoughts on Vigil Mass for Sunday obligation?

Thanks.
My personal thoughts: If one can not make it to mass on a Sunday, then the Saturday vigil mass is an alternative. However, and again unless for an important reason one can not make Sunday masses with regularity, the Saturday vigil should not be a part of one's ordinary schedule.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • jack89
(10-05-2019, 04:11 PM)jack89 Wrote: I recently read that it was not common practice prior to Vatican II, ...

Because until Pius XII, about ten years before the Council, Mass could not licitly be celebrated after 12 noon. There were no evening Masses at all. Pius allowed them.

An amusing aside. I was an Anglican at the the time of the Council. There is (was?) an 'Anglo-Catholic' book called The Ritual Reason Why, explaining the reasons behind the ceremonies of their aping the Mass. The new edition after Pius changed the rule, said 'Evening Masses can no longer be called un-Catholic in light of the Holy Father's decision'.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

I've found it convenient when I have to work the weekend. But since I now choose to forgo the NO entirely, I don't see it as more that just checking off a box next to my Mass obligation.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/
(10-05-2019, 04:33 PM)Bonaventure Wrote: My personal thoughts: If one can not make it to mass on a Sunday, then the Saturday vigil mass is an alternative.  However, and again unless for an important reason one can not make Sunday masses with regularity, the Saturday vigil should not be a part of one's ordinary schedule.

I think this is the best way to go.  I'll make it a point to go on Sunday since I'm retired and really have no reason not to.
It's worth noting that the current law allows it though, so one should have no scruple in going on Saturday as to whether it fulfils his obligation.  It does.  Regardless of what was the law prior to the council or what is the custom in TLM parishes today, the current law alone is what is binding, and anything beyond is laudable but solely devotional.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
[-] The following 2 users Like Steven's post:
  • jack89, jovan66102