448 Years Ago Today
[-] The following 3 users Like Eric F's post:
  • Ambrosiano, JacafamalaRedux, jack89
Thank you!!
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Photo 
Shameless self promotion, I know, but here are the three articles and one video I posted on my blog today in remembrance of the Battle of Lepanto, with the introductory comments.

Lepanto, 1571: The Battle that Saved Europe

Today is the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, originally instituted as the Feast of Our Lady of Victory, by St Pius V in honour of the victory of the Christian navies under Don Juan of Austria, against the jihadist fleet of the Ottoman Turks at the Battle of Lepanto. Our Lady of Victory, pray for us! Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for us!

LEPANTO! "The highest moment that the centuries ever witnessed." All Hail the Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary!

The quote in the title is from Miguel de Cervantes who was wounded in the battle. He was seriously ill with fever, but refused to stay below decks, saying he would rather die for his God and king than keep under cover. 

The following is an excerpt from Fausto appetente die, Encyclical of Pope Benedict XV on St Dominic.

Battle of Lepanto, 1571: What REALLY Happened

A very good video on the Battle of Lepanto, from a favourite YouTube channel of mine, Real Crusades History. A few details about the jihadists of the 'Religion of Peace', including skinning a man alive.

The Battle Of Lepanto/Feast Of Our Lady Of The Rosary

[Image: lepanto.jpg]

Followed by the text of 'Lepanto' By GKC, with an article, 'Why You Should Read G.K. Chesterton’s “Lepanto” Today.'
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

I'm a day late... but Our Lady of Victory homeschool put out this nice little newsletter for October. They called it the "Lepanto Issue" in commemoration.

https://www.olvs.org/wp-content/uploads/...letter.pdf