Gay People- Am I Just a Bigot?
So, I work at a law firm and got a call today from a man who told me right off the bat that he was gay and living with another guy and their adopted foster kids. He was extremely upset because the local public school had banned him and his "partner" from coming to their gym to work out. They claim that he is a threat to the children there, especially the boys. He got off on saying that the town he lives in is full of a bunch of ignorant, white, conservative rednecks, and I had to do my best to calm him down. 

However, it got me to thinking about my own ideas about gay people. Maybe I'm just really uncharitable, but if you are a PRACTICING gay man, that means you are comfortable with some pretty nasty sexual stuff (notice I said practicing, not somebody who struggles with SSA but doesn't act out on it). It's common that gay men became gay because they were molested or abused themselves as children. I just don't know what I think about allowing gay men to adopt children, boys or girls, or even be around kids in general. Am I just being a terrible bigot? 

It just seems to me that most gay people are comfortable with and even embrace a level of sexual perversion that is dangerous. Obviously straight people can do this too, but it does seem to be more common in the LGBTQ crowd. 

What is the proper Catholic response to this?  Or am I just being an uncharitable Archie Bunker?

St. Mary of Egypt, Ora Pro Nobis!

I’m not sure how what a person does in private could be a reasonable determining factor in whether or not a public school district would allow them to use their exercise facilities. That is not, of course, a nod of approval of their lifestyle.
(10-08-2019, 01:27 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: What is the proper Catholic response to this?  Or am I just being an uncharitable Archie Bunker?

Children need a mother and a father, and other couples shouldn't be allowed to adopt children. Neither should single people unless the only other option is something like foster care. It's biology, not bigotry, to say men and women are different and mothers and fathers influence children differently. (If a gay man disagrees, and says men and women are the same, ask him if he'd marry a woman.)

I think the gym banning goes too far, and serves only to give the left more reason to mock the right about how bigoted they are. Even if there's more child abuse among homosexuals, that doesn't mean they all abuse children, and while excluding them from things like scoutmaster might make sense (before the Boy Scouts caved to political correctness), since positions of leadership give them influence over children and cause them to view homosexuality more positively, it's a public gym, likely with other adults there.

It's not bigotry to be repulsed by sin. You should pray that they leave the gay lifestyle, repent, turn to Christ, and be saved. You should also pray for thieves to stop stealing, but you don't have to hire a thief to be the cashier at your store.
[-] The following 5 users Like Paul's post:
  • Augustinian, HailGilbert, josh987654321, jovan66102, mpk1987
https://www.fisheaters.com/homosexuality.html
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 2 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • HailGilbert, olorin12
Gays are a public health hazard
[-] The following 3 users Like For Petes Sake's post:
  • Bombero, MiserereMeiDeus, mpk1987
We should feel sympathy for such persons, and pray for them.
Pray particularly that they receive actual graces necessary to be properly disposed for the Sacrament of Penance.
[-] The following 5 users Like FultonFan's post:
  • jack89, Jeeter, josh987654321, mpk1987, olorin12
(10-08-2019, 01:27 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: However, it got me to thinking about my own ideas about gay people. Maybe I'm just really uncharitable, but if you are a PRACTICING gay man, that means you are comfortable with some pretty nasty sexual stuff (notice I said practicing, not somebody who struggles with SSA but doesn't act out on it). It's common that gay men became gay because they were molested or abused themselves as children. I just don't know what I think about allowing gay men to adopt children, boys or girls, or even be around kids in general. Am I just being a terrible bigot? 

No, having a properly formed disgust reflex, especially towards one of the foulest sins (one that cries to heaven for vengeance) is not bigoted.  But you should still treat the person as Christ before you.  That doesn't mean you let them adopt or babysit children; there is nothing wrong with discrimination in that sense.  There is no need for mistreating them or being cruel to them (though of course the liberal leviathan thinks preventing them from adopting is mistreatment).  You don't have to go out of your way to make friends with them and let them be in your life.  Ultimately, you should feel pity for their choices, just like you should feel sorrow at your own sins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mpk1987's post:
  • josh987654321
I would say roughly 2/3rds of the priests I've ever encountered were obviously gay men. The priest who married me was extremely flamboyant. Do you all... not pick up on this? Not saying it's a good thing or anything like that, but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.
(10-10-2019, 12:13 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: I would say roughly 2/3rds of the priests I've ever encountered were obviously gay men. The priest who married me was extremely flamboyant. Do you all... not pick up on this? Not saying it's a good thing or anything like that, but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

I feel sorry for you. I've been a Catholic for almost 40 years and I've known Catholic Priests since I was a boy, and I can count on the fingers of one hand those who were 'obviously gay'.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Melkite
(10-10-2019, 12:43 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I feel sorry for you. I've been a Catholic for almost 40 years and I've known Catholic Priests since I was a boy, and I can count on the fingers of one hand those who were 'obviously gay'.

It could definitely be a regional thing. I live in a fairly liberal urban area. The seminary had a nickname since the 50s that implied everyone who went there was gay.