Tasting notes from my travels in American Christianity
(10-09-2019, 08:03 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: Option 3: FSSP, et al.  I did not have a good experience with the FSSP, but that’s not important.  I will instead offer what my current complaint with all traditionalists ""firmly within the Church"" is: It’s a shell game.  You won’t be scandalized by attending Mass at an FSSP parish, but enjoy having your financial contributions go straight to a bishop who will do his best to make sure you DO get scandalized.  I really question the morality of actively participating in a parish like this that, despite being orthodox in all the right ways, on paper functions like any other diocesan parish as far as the bishop’s pockets are concerned.  It strikes me as a type of blood money: You give money you know will be used in immoral ways as long as you get to worship as a traditionalist with certainty that you are staying firmly within the Church.  This didn’t occur to me my first time around because I was poor.  Now, however, I can’t imagine making such a Faustian pact for my own piece of mind. 

To the best of my knowledge, supporting your parish/priest can be done in other ways other than writing a check each week (or direct deposit).  If one takes some simple steps, one can prevent most, if not all, of this money from getting into the hands of the bishop (if you so choose).  For example, I was told by a priest that one can earmark their weekly collection such that it does not go into the pot where the diocesan allotment is calculated. Simply marking it as "parish improvement' would suffice (but you better ask your priest to make sure).  

OR... make your contribution directly to other non-diocesan causes... instead of a weekly contribution at mass, make a larger monthly contribution to a traditional seminary of your choosing.  

And when the basket is passed around at the time of the diocesan appeal, or for "Peter's Pence", don't throw anything into it.

Or maybe throw this into it:

[Image: 70574261-3068427563187408-2825314819719036928-o.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Bonaventure's post:
  • antiquarian, JacafamalaRedux, mpk1987

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tasting notes from my travels in American Christianity - by Bonaventure - 10-09-2019, 03:11 PM