Tasting notes from my travels in American Christianity
I tend to agree that some of Orthodoxy IS ugly and personally speaking I cannot stand modern Russian Orthodox chanting.  That ridiculous "high opera" theatrical garbage is more post Nikonian and post Petrine (Peter 1) than it is traditional.  Now the old Znammeny chanting on the other hand,  or the Valaam style,  is beautiful.  I also like traditional Greek style chanting.  Heck I even still love Gregorian chant. 

I am willing to concede that not everyone is taken with icons or Orthodoxy though, and many LOVE that theatrical post Nikonian, post Petrine operatic style.  People have different tastes.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tasting notes from my travels in American Christianity - by formerbuddhist - 10-12-2019, 08:09 AM