Is giving in to an addiction a sin?
(10-10-2019, 08:49 AM)Birdie Wrote: I'm struggling with a particular addiction, having to do with a mental illness. I'm taking all the steps to avoid giving in to it, but I've failed lately. Would this be considered a sin? If so, venial or mortal, do you think?

I, too, struggle with habitual sin. I don't know if I have an addiction or any form of mental illness that might partially excuse my actions, but nonetheless, I have a compulsion to sin that I regularly give in to and can't seem to stop. I make an effort to pray the rosary everyday and I go to confession regularly, but I don't make a serious enough effort to truly amend my life and almost immediately backslide right back into my sinful state. It's been a long time since I've been able to receive communion. It may be a minor consolation to me to know that my sins are actually only venial and not mortal, but I doubt that. It's all so tiring. But I can't give up.
Omnia et in omnibus Christus

Messages In This Thread
Is giving in to an addiction a sin? - by Birdie - 10-10-2019, 08:49 AM
RE: Is giving in to an addiction a sin? - by whitewashed_tomb - 10-10-2019, 10:51 PM