Is giving in to an addiction a sin?
(10-10-2019, 08:49 AM)Birdie Wrote: I'm struggling with a particular addiction, having to do with a mental illness. I'm taking all the steps to avoid giving in to it, but I've failed lately. Would this be considered a sin?

Addiction is a type of mental disorder and is always linked to mental illness which doesn't excuse committing the sin. In fact all these mental illnesses are the efforts of secular science to explain the things that Christianity has always known such as the Holy Spirit, the devils temptations, torments and accusations, evil possession, God's will, Satan's will, spiritual warfare, etc. 
I too have addictions which I'm constantly doing battle with. The following describes my condition like only Paul can. 

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!"   Romans 7: 15-25

whitewashed_tomb Wrote:It's all so tiring. But I can't give up.

That is so true. It is not only very tiring but it's also discouraging but we must stay strong and never give up. Understand that we are engaged in spiritual warfare, a war that will most likely continue till our deaths. Do not be deflated by this, there are many battles that will be won and lost but the war goes on in this world and our glory will be so much greater after enduring such tribulations. 

The fact that we are aware of our addiction to sin and are trying to address it means that the Holy Spirit is indeed within us. Everyone is engaged in spiritual warfare regardless of how righteous someone may think they are, even the seemingly minor sins like pride, jealousy, dissension and countless other sins are tempted by the evil one. I've even seen sins by people on this forum who discourage others, try to create divisions, invent their own doctrines, replace the word of the bible and of the church with their own word and just blatantly lying. 

Most people think they are free of Satan's temptations but are in fact being deceived. In one way we are somewhat lucky to be able to clearly distinguish Satan's temptation, we are not being deceived. 

I pray for everyone to be able to stand against the lures of the devil and for the Holy Spirit to guide us to God's will. God bless
[-] The following 1 user Likes Porkncheese's post:
  • whitewashed_tomb

Messages In This Thread
Is giving in to an addiction a sin? - by Birdie - 10-10-2019, 08:49 AM
RE: Is giving in to an addiction a sin? - by Porkncheese - 10-11-2019, 07:06 AM