Fr. Thomas Weinandy on "Pope Francis and Schism"
(10-10-2019, 01:03 PM)jack89 Wrote: What bothers me though, is that if I don't follow the teachings of a corrupt Pope and his entourage of corrupt bishops, am I not just another protestant?

My thoughts on this aren't very sophisticated, but here's my thinking: I know that the Roman Catholic Church is the only True Church, the one founded by Jesus Christ.  I have no idea how to explain what happened at Vatican II and afterward.  I can't explain how Popes John XXIII, Paul VI, John Paul I, John Paul II, Benedict XVI, and now Francis fit in with traditional (i.e., true, infallible) Catholic teaching.  I can trust that what came before 1958 is undoubtedly true, authentic Catholic teaching.  Priests formed in the traditional manner (such as the SSPX) are the most reliable source for understanding traditional Catholic teaching.  Therefore, I don't go with my opinions in refusing to follow the Francis trainwreck-in-progress. Instead, I rely on authentic Catholic teaching that is taught to me by trustworthy Catholic priests.  Is this Protestant?  I do not think so.  When a Protestant doesn't like what his current ecclesial community is doing (but still likes how things used to be done), he simply finds a like-minded group in his current ecclesial community, and they form a new schismatic sect.  The Episcopal Church is a prime example of this after they decided to ordain practicing homosexuals and conduct same-sex "weddings."  Many conservatives in that denomination broke away and formed a new Anglican group in the United States and Canada, the Anglican Church in North America.  However, no one in the new ACNA pretended like they were the real Episcopal Church.  They knew they were a new group attempting to do a more traditional Anglican thing.  Not so with traditional Catholics.  We know there can be only one true Church.  Rejecting questionable teachings or practices, even when they come from the pope, isn't a crude Protestantism.  It is the best we can do in a lousy situation.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
[-] The following 3 users Like SeekerofChrist's post:
  • Augustinian, jack89, whitewashed_tomb

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fr. Thomas Weinandy on "Pope Francis and Schism" - by SeekerofChrist - 10-10-2019, 01:40 PM