Fr. Thomas Weinandy on "Pope Francis and Schism"
(10-12-2019, 10:56 AM)LionHippo Wrote:
(10-12-2019, 10:26 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: Except for the fact that without the Church, we're all going to hell. All of us. We're not supposed to be worried. But we are supposed to keep the Faith.

Guidance, yes and she still does. Comfort? Well, yes if it's in the hope of Heaven. I don't think the Holy Family had much comfort. Are we better than them that our families should have it easier?

The point I am at right now is questioning the entire truth of the faith, to be honest.  I did not come to this point lightly or without great reflection.  So to me, even the concept of salvation, heaven and hell rests upon the proceedings of the institutional, visible Church.  I've been too stubborn to admit this in the past, but the infancy narratives of the Holy Family are most likely not historical anyway, so using that as a reference does not really help me.  I'm just keeping it simple: for me, it depends on what changes after this Amazon Synod.  I had to put a line somewhere, and this is what I chose.  A case can already be made that over the last 50 years, the visible, institutional Church is so fractured from the previous centuries of her history that effectively, there is no continuity of tradition or teaching.  I do not subscribe to any theory rejecting Francis as Pope, or that a remnant apart from the visible, structural Church is going to carry on the faith - that is essentially what most non-Catholics already believe they're doing. 

In recent years, I have held onto my faith more out of stubborness than love of it.  The faith and the sacraments logically work like placebos:  if you believe in them, then you'll live like they make a difference in your life.  It is an exercise of the human mind and not any supernatural grace, in my current opinion, to have faith.  For example, I have received the Eucharist at least weekly for over three decades; if it were truly supernatural, if I were truly consuming the Body and Blood of Christ, then logically I should not feel this way.  But I can turn it on and off at will.  When I think the Eucharist is doing something for me, I'll act like it makes a difference.  Priests and bishops who have been ordained, who have the ability to turn bread into the Body of Christ, should not be evil or promoting errors or confusion in the Church.  Trying to justify and explain why one must "cooperate with grace" is just theological rhetoric.  "Cooperating with grace" is just another way of saying that you are acting in the way you've already predetermined to be true.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but all signs of the Church today show it to be a human institution with no supernatural origin or guidance.  Like I said, plain, visible reality has led me to this conclusion.  I didn't go looking for conspiracies or trying to find a reason to leave or question the faith.  But after several years of constant confusion in the Church, it's the conclusion I've come to unless proven wrong.

There's two elements to the Church: the human and the divine. One's perfect, the other isn't. God has graced us with beautiful examples of the Faith through the lives of countless saints and miracles. Look to those for your examples. The bible is the inerrant word of God. It's completely 100% reliable. All of it.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • LionHippo

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fr. Thomas Weinandy on "Pope Francis and Schism" - by JacafamalaRedux - 10-12-2019, 11:42 AM