Hypothetically, would ordination of women mean the gates of hell had prevailed?
(10-17-2019, 01:23 PM)jack89 Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 12:07 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I guess I'm not scandalized by Orthodoxy because I chose to become an Old Ritualist. If I lived in Erie I'd attend that Church exclusively and not even go to other Orthodox churches that weren't old rite, doing the home alone thing that I did for the last year or so of my Catholic days when not around an Old Rite Church.  I guess I have the eccentric and hardcore spirit of the Old Believers and probably always have, even when in Rome.
Not to go off on a tangent, but you mentioned "Old Believers".  I grew up around Old Believers in Woodburn, OR and was wondering if they're the same. I'm trying to relate to what you're talking about and want to get the right picture in my head. 

The Old Believers I grew up near spoke a dialect of Russian, wore quite attractive, embroidered flower trimmed tunics and dresses, and were very polite but distant.  They seemed very devout, but I never got any details.  Sound about the same?
That's the same, although the ones affiliated with ROCOR in Erie are not rural and they use primarily a hieratic English since most the parish no longer speak Russian or Old Church Slavonic. The strictness is more within the Church,as in the Erie parish men and women stand in separate sections, women are required to cover their heads and everyone stands still and makes the sign of the cross and does prostrations at the same time, the latter being done using a small cloth called a "podruchnik" to keep one's hands clean.  No one communes who did not keep the fast,confessed and attended the long saturday vigil.  1st-9th Hour is prayed in common before the liturgy and without vigil and hours no liturgy is served.  I imagine the Woodburn group is probably more insular and hardcore since they are rural,priestless and probably don't see many converts. 

If I recall correctly the Woodburn Old Believers are still of the Priestless variety and very otherworldly and strict.  Interesting that you grew up near them.  I think they still exclusively use Old Church Slavonic. Interesting nonetheless.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hypothetically, would ordination of women mean the gates of hell had prevailed? - by formerbuddhist - 10-21-2019, 05:20 AM