Is Chantix right for you? (No)
Quote:Many stories on the FDA decision still describe serious concerns about the drug. The Philadelphia Business Journal noted: “Chantix’s updated label will still carry a warning of potential adverse events such as psychosis, hallucinations, paranoia and anxiety and other neuropsychiatric problems. The difference is those events will not be highlighted in a ‘black box’ warning, the FDA’s sternest warning for an approved medicine.”

Quote:The FDA has reported that Chantix increases the risk of Heart attacks and strokes. Chantix has also been cited as the cause of suicidal thoughts, depression, aggression, and unusual acts.

[Image: chantix-violence-table.jpg]

Quote:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-14/conroners-finds-anti-smoking-drug-champix-contributed-to-suicide/8946320

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/07/19/12/11/sydney-family-calls-for-anti-smoking-drug-champix-to-be-banned-after-dads-death

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2016/08/09/the-stop-smoking-pill-made-me-do-it-man-found-not-criminally-responsible-for-shooting-wife/?utm_term=.0f47fd635ec0

http://nymag.com/news/features/43892/

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=3623085&page=1

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Quit+smoking+drug+suspected+suicides+Canada/10717006/story.html

https://theconversation.com/weekly-dose-champixs-effectiveness-is-questionable-and-safety-record-is-concerning-85259

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5969183/Father-three-took-life-taking-drug-help-quit-smoking-amid-calls-medication-ban.html

CHANTIX is not for everyone. Some people have had new or worse mental health problems, such as changes in behavior or thinking, aggression, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, or suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping CHANTIX. These symptoms happened more often in people who had a history of mental health problems. Stop taking CHANTIX and call your healthcare provider right away if you, your family, or caregiver notice any of these symptoms. Before starting CHANTIX, tell your healthcare provider if you ever had depression or other mental health problems.

Quote:Male, age 19. Extracted from appeals court judgment reversing his murder conviction because the judge did not allow a CHANTIX defense of involuntary intoxication.

>Appellant was nineteen years old and had been in the service for approximately a year. Prior to enlisting, Appellant was an active member of his community and led various volunteering and mentoring projects as an Eagle Scout. Upon turning eighteen, both Appellant and his twin brother enlisted in the United States Army. After successfully completing Infantry Training and the Airborne Course, they were both selected for an appointment to the United States Military Academy Preparatory School (USMAPS), class of 2009. [Was temporarily assigned to a supply room at Fort Benning and prescribed Chantix].

>Appellant had been experiencing “new and strange thoughts” including a “person [was] telling me . . . dangerous things that arent [sic] me.” These included violent thoughts of killing someone. On May 18, 2008, one month after the Army doctor prescribed Chantix, Appellant fatally attacked Private (PVT) Bulmer while he was sleeping, stabbing him to death. Prior to this attack, Appellant did not know nor had he ever interacted with PVT Bulmer.

Quote:I got prescribed Chantix in 09 and one day after starting it I just absolutely lost it. I was having lucid dreams after my second day on it. For no reason I started beating my gf while she was sitting on the couch watching tv. I grabbed her by the throat with my left hand and threw her on the ground and thats when I started punching her as hard as I could. I later found out that I broke her nose, fractured her jaw, knocked out a tooth and cracked another one, gave her a black eye, and several bruises all over her body. After about 1 1/2 minutes of beating her I stood up and came to my senses. I had blood on my knuckles from her nose and realized what I had done. She was on the ground sobbing and when I reached down to try to comfort her she recoiled and begged me to stop. I tried to explain to her that I had no idea why I did that but I just couldn't find the words to say. She looked me in the eyes with an expression I will never forget, pure fear. My heart was beating out of my chest and I started to panic. All I could do is say sorry over and over while trying to help her up but she jerked away from me every time i tried. She started screaming and crying hysterically I could barely make out what she was saying. She grabbed her cell phone and limped to her room where she locked the door and called 911. At that point I was still trying to process what happened and I just sat on the couch and zoned out until the police and an ambulance arrived 20 minutes later. The police officers who responded were really aggressive to me. They threw me on the ground and handcuffed me in a position that hurt both of my arms even though I was trying to cooperate with them. When they started asking questions I just stared at them and told them the truth, I had no idea why I snapped and beat her. I had never so much as yelled at her before that night. I got sentenced 6 years in prison but I only served 3. Didnt even think it was related to the chantix until after I got out.
I took Chantix about 12-13 years ago to quit smoking/dipping. I had very vivid dreams, it was actually kind of cool for a while, but started getting a little depressed after a a couple of weeks of taking it. I took it for about a month and quit, I didn't like that it was having such an effect.

On a positive note, I haven't had any tobacco since.
(10-15-2019, 01:09 PM)jack89 Wrote: I took Chantix about 12-13 years ago to quit smoking/dipping.  I had very vivid dreams, it was actually kind of cool for a while, but started getting a little depressed after a a couple of weeks of taking it.  I took it for about a month and quit, I didn't like that it was having such an effect.  

On a positive note, I haven't had any tobacco since.

If you had kept going you could have been the next Manchurian candidate, but now we'll never know.

It's not the only drug to have bizarre effects like this. Most Antidepressants can cause suicidal and homicidal ideation that did not exist previously. I think like every mass shooter had been on them. Maybe one of the reasons the left makes such as a big deal about guns each time and rolls their eyes at the mental health aspect is because the common denominator of SSRIs would be too devastating for their pharmaceutical overlords.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • mpk1987
(10-15-2019, 02:18 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: Most Antidepressants can cause suicidal and homicidal ideation that did not exist previously.

I sometimes struggle with depression. I asked my doctor about it, and he prescribed an AD. Being the medically concerned person I am, I did my due diligence, only to find out alcohol was contraindicated. As anyone who knows me knows, I like my beer!

I didn't fill the scrip and when I saw the doctor again I told him what I had done. His response? 'Oh, it might have given you suicidal thoughts, even if you didn't drink'! Thanks, Doc.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(10-16-2019, 12:41 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I sometimes struggle with depression. I asked my doctor about it, and he prescribed an AD. Being the medically concerned person I am, I did my due diligence, only to find out alcohol was contraindicated. As anyone who knows me knows, I like my beer!

I didn't fill the scrip and when I saw the doctor again I told him what I had done. His response? 'Oh, it might have given you suicidal thoughts, even if you didn't drink'! Thanks, Doc.

You're definitely better off for it.  I really think all of that stuff is poison.  I would always recommend making every possible lifestyle change before considering something like an SSRI.  If you're running a couple miles everyday, eating an ideal diet, taking a multivitamin, cutting out alcohol (ahem), and sleeping 7 hours a night AND you're still depressed, then it's time to talk.  But at that point 99.9% of people would no longer be depressed.  In fact I'm pretty sure eliminating refined sugar would cure half the cases of depression - I've seen a lot of research and personally experienced how bad the blood sugar/insulin roller coaster the average American rides everyday is for one's mental health.  When you're body is crashing several times a day from your bi hourly sugar rush, of course a person will feel depressed.
(10-16-2019, 01:20 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: If you're running a couple miles everyday, eating an ideal diet, taking a multivitamin, cutting out alcohol (ahem), and sleeping 7 hours a night ...

Well I can't run at all, given my heart condition and COPD, I can't take most multivitamins because they're contraindicated by other meds I take (tho' I do take C and potassium every day), and if I cut out the beer, I'd rapidly be addicted to laxatives, but I do sleep 7-8 hours a night.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(10-16-2019, 01:28 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: Well I can't run at all, given my heart condition and COPD, I can't take most multivitamins because they're contraindicated by other meds I take (tho' I do take C and Na every day), and if I cut out the beer, I'd rapidly be addicted to laxatives, but I do sleep 7-8 hours a night.

I hear ya, there are some things that just aren't worth giving up.  I cut out smoking and drinking and everything else, but I'll be damned if I give up my intense caffeine abuse.  I simply won't do it, especially working night shift.

It's tough having heart and lung issues at the same time.  The beta blockers for your heart counteract the smooth muscle dilators for your lungs and... yeah it's just a mess with the medications.  I'm glad I'll never be prescribing that stuff... You ARE doing some light exercise for the COPD though, right??
Oh, yes! Since I no longer drive because of sight issues, I walk just about everywhere. Luckily, I live in a small town. It's about four blocks to downtown or the library and three blocks to the Parish Church, so I walk almost every day. They're in opposite directions, and sometimes I do round trips to both on the same day.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

I made a mistake in my post above, and I've edited it, but it stands in ICT's post. I said I took C and Na every day. That would be stupid, since Na is sodium and I'm on a restricted sodium diet. I've corrected that. I take vitamin C and potassium every day. It's ironic, tho', because the symbol for potassium is 'K' and vitamin K is the reason I can't take most multivitamins, since vitamin K messes with blood thinners. Have to watch the leafy green vegetables, too. Kale, for instance, is a rich source of vitamin K.

Oh, and no grapefruit or grapefruit juice (which I love) because it's contraindicated.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(10-16-2019, 03:16 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I made a mistake in my post above, and I've edited it, but it stands in ICT's post. I said I took C and Na every day. That would be stupid, since Na is sodium and I'm on a restricted sodium diet. I've corrected that. I take vitamin C and potassium every day. It's ironic, tho', because the symbol for potassium is 'K' and vitamin K is the reason I can't take most multivitamins, since vitamin K messes with blood thinners. Have to watch the leafy green vegetables, too. Kale, for instance, is a rich source of vitamin K.

Oh, and no grapefruit or grapefruit juice (which I love) because it's contraindicated.

So then it sounds like you have... A-fib and either hypertension or heart failure?  That is never great, although in the grand scheme of things it could be far worse!  The most unpleasant disease process to me, especially as you get older, always appeared to be diabetes.  That starts getting gruesome quick when you have wounds that won't heal and body parts start falling off.  Not to mention you have your mental health, which depending on how I feel that day, sometimes seems far worse than any physical disease.  After taking care of my grandmother with Alzheimer's and working with demented patients, I have started occasionally having nightmares about getting diagnosed with it.